Animation / Armen Film Animated Shorts
Armenfilm studio cartoons created by Robert Sahakyants
and famous for their unique animation. A few of them are available on Youtube with English subtitles.
Tropes in all Armenfilm shorts:
Tropes in individual shorts:Three Blue, Blue Lakes of Crimson Color (1981)
: A short parodying the tendency of hunters to exaggerate size of their preyWho will tell a fable? (1982)
: A king announces a contest in which contenders have to tell a tale and if king will not believe it, he gets to take half the kingdom
. On the other hand, if the king thinks fit to decide that the tale is plausible enough, he will take all of the contender's belongings. Based on the folktale "The Liar (folktale)
".Wow, a Talking Fish! (1983)
: A poor fisherman is given a magic table by a kindly wizard
who happens to have a small condition
...Marty Gra (1985)
: A corrupt land-owner robs a farmer, and his son
decides to take it back.Deep blue Sea, light white foam (1984)
: A fisherman and his grandson find a bottle with an evil sorcerer trapped inside. The sorcerer decided to take the boy who released him as an apprentice. The cartoon's song is probably the best known part of it.
An Axe (1994)
- Bilingual Bonus: "ayb ben gimm" are first three letters of Armenian alphabet, "irek uyu chors" means "ready, set, go" in Armenian.
- Dude, Not Funny!: apart from possible Appollo 13 connection one of the ships have "007 747" numbers written on it.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: When sea king turns into a rocket, one can see "no smoking" (in English) and "13" written on the rocket (more likely a reference to 13 being a "devil's dozen" rather that to Apollo 13 practically unknown in Soviet Union).
- Everything Is an Instrument: drum-fish, trumpet fish, accordion fish — you name it
- Genie in a Bottle
- Jackass Genie
- Not Quite Back to Normal: Sort of. After the boy turns back from a fish to a man (going through evolutionary stages), he's dressed in his old clothes instead of the clothes the wizard gave him... and holds a stone hammer in his hand.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: princess looks like a 'normal' mermaid except that her head is a fish too
- Really 700 Years Old: The sorcerer promises the boy will live 2 000 years - and marry his daughter in 300 or so.
- Shape Shifter Mode Lock: The boy, after learning how to shapeshift, tries to flee, but is informed he didn't learn the counterspell.
- Sirens Are Mermaids
- Tricking the Shapeshifter: The boy pulls off the old Arabian Nights trick at the end.
- Villain Song
- Water Is Air
- We Can Rule Together
: Based on a short story Brother Axe
by Hovhannes Tumanyan. A village had no woodcutting tools and people were getting firewood in most primitive ways — using their hands and teeth. A passing woodcutter gave them an axe. But the villagers didn't know how to use it, maimed themselves and destroyed their village.
- Amusing Injuries: Like an axe wedged in a man's skull. The man is still alive and doesn't even feel much pain.
- And I Must Scream: People frozen inside ice blocks seem to be alive and waiting for spring to thaw them. Well, still better than frozen to death.
- Dark Humour: People get maimed, probably freeze to death, are left homeless in the middle of the winter... Yet it's so over the top, you will smile if not laugh.
- Happy Ending: If you can call that setting your village on fire to get warm.
- No OSHA Compliance: People don't know how to use an axe. Or how to handle hot objects in flammable houses.
- The Unintelligible: There are no words in the cartoon, just exclamation of joy and pain. Thus no need to translate the dialogs.