These are Armenfilm studio cartoons made by Robert Sahakyants
, famous for their unique animation. A few of them are available on Youtube with English subtitles.
Tropes demonstrated in all Armenfilm shorts:
Tropes in individual shorts:Three Blue, Blue Lakes of Crimson Color (1981)
:A short parodying the tendency of hunters to exaggerate size of their preyWho will tell a fable? (1982)
: A king announces a contest in which contenders have to tell a tale and if king will not believe it, he gets to take half the kingdom
. On the other hand, if the king thinks fit to decide that the tale is plausible enough, he will take all of the contender's belongings. Based on the folktale "The Liar (folktale)
".Wow, a Talking Fish! (1983)
: A poor fisherman is given a magic table by a kindly wizard
who happens to have a small condition
...Marty Gra (1985)
: A corrupt land-owner robs a farmer, and his son
decides to take it back.
Deep blue Sea, light white foam (1984)
- Fridge Logic: Okay, we realise that these shorts are fairy tales, but still: how come an obviously Soviet corrupt store manager can own a land and raise taxes? (Under Communism a private individual can't do these actions on his own; only the state can.)
- Paper-Thin Disguise: The boy dresses up as a snowman... and the land owner asks him for directions.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A Freeze-Frame Bonus of two cats.
: A fisherman and his grandson find a bottle with an evil sorcerer trapped inside. The sorcerer decided to take the boy who released him as an apprentice. The cartoon's song is probably the best known part of it.
- Bilingual Bonus: "ayb ben gimm" are first three letters of Armenian alphabet, "irek uyu chors" means "ready, set, go" in Armenian
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: When sea king turns into a rocket, one can see "no smoking" (in english) and "13" written on the rocket (more likely a reference to 13 being a "devil's dozen" rather that to Apollo 13 practically unknown in Soviet Union).
- Dude, Not Funny!: apart from possible Appollo 13 connection one of the ships have "007 747" numbers written on it
- Everything Is an Instrument: drum-fish, trumpet fish, accordion fish — you name it
- Evil Is Cool: "I'll teach you to make storms, sink ships... You'll be rich, and happy".
- Genie in a Bottle
- Jackass Genie
- Not Quite Back to Normal: Sort of. After the boy turns back from a fish to a man (going through evolutionary stages), he's dressed in his old clothes instead of the clothes the wizard gave him... and holds a stone hammer in his hand.
- Shape Shifter Mode Lock: The boy, after learning how to shapeshift, tries to flee, but is informed he didn't learn the counterspell.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: princess looks like a 'normal' mermaid except that her head is a fish too
- Really 700 Years Old: The sorcerer promises the boy will live 2 000 years - and marry his daughter in 300 or so.
- Sirens Are Mermaids
- Tricking the Shapeshifter: The boy pulls off the old Arabian Nights trick at the end.
- Villain Song
- We Can Rule Together
- Water Is Air