Animation / Ali Baba & the Gold Raiders
A 2002 animated film adapted from "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves
", and produced by Joseph Lai of Space Thunder Kids
and Beauty and Warrior
fame. Need we say more?
's least favourite piece of animation ever.
This film provides examples of:
- Anachronism Stew:
- One of the thieves is wearing a Batman shirt, for starters.
- The treasure shown consists of various modern day gold-coloured awards (like an Emmy, Grammy, and gold medal) and a gold credit card.
- Conspicuous CG: Pretty much all of the backgrounds.
- Department of Redundancy Department: A lot of the Dialogue, in Ali Baba & the Gold Raiders is the Characters repeating their lines, as though they had multiple takes of their line and decided to us al of them!?
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Likely an unintended one; a giant hammer can be seen for one frame well before it's brandished.
- Informed Attribute: Cassim apparently has a Magic Measure Bowl, which Ali Baba & his Wife use to count the Gold they have. Nothing in the film suggests what this Magic actually is, outside of being able to put things in the Bowl?
- Limited Animation
- No Ending: After the leader of the gold raiders gets tied up and cries out for help, the title appears and the credits roll.
- Off-Model: Among its other transgressions, a giant hammer can be seen for one frame well before it's brandished.
- Plagiarism: They ripped off the song "Prince Ali" from Aladdin, albeit in MIDI form.
- Plot Hole: It's not explained how the gold raiders found Ali Baba's house. In the original story, the tailor who sewed Cassim's body back together for burial was the one who told them where Ali Baba lives. The movie just skips from the first search (with the wife painting crosses on all the doors) to the thieves somehow having found Ali Baba's house.
- Spared by the Adaptation: In the original, the forty thieves are killed in their jars by the wife pouring boiling hot oil on them.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After the gold raiders find Cassim in their cave, he disappears from the story. In the original story, the thieves killed him. Interestingly, Ali Baba comes back from the cave bringing several sacks with him. In the original story these sacks contained what was left of Cassim's dismembered body.