Ever since it was a tech demo for the UsefulNotes/WiiU, ''VideoGame/NewSuperMarioBrosU'' was little more than... well, a tech demo. But after its full reveal at E3 2012, well, [[SugarWiki/AndTheFandomRejoiced things just got real.]]
* The numerous throwbacks to ''VideoGame/SuperMarioWorld'', a nice change of pace after the ones to ''VideoGame/SuperMarioBros3'' found in ''VideoGame/NewSuperMarioBros2'' and ''VideoGame/SuperMario3DLand''.
* The first player can finally play as someone other than Mario.
* The announcement of the possibility of more characters, a power up selection that rivals ''VideoGame/SuperMarioBros3'' (which means the game may have at least ''8'' different power-ups), and the option of making co-op players intangible to one another. However, the extra characters and intangible feature did not make it into the game.
* This game puts a twist on the usual SaveThePrincess ExcusePlot that while Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad are visiting Princess Peach, Bowser's airship literally grabs the heroes and throws them all the way out of the Mushroom Kingdom, making Princess Peach [[VideoGame/SuperMario64 on]][[VideoGame/PaperMario64 ce]] [[VideoGame/SuperMarioGalaxy again]] a prisoner within her own castle. The four heroes must then race back to the Mushroom Kingdom to save her.
* [[InfiniteOneUps The one-up trick]] now has [[AscendedExtra an official game mode entirely devoted to it!]]
* TimeAttack mode finally makes its official game debut in the Mario series!
* The [[OverworldNotToScale world map]], akin to ''VideoGame/SuperMarioWorld'' (sort of), is now shared between all worlds. In other words, every world map is stuck to the next one and shares the same screen. Sure, it feels a bit "forced", as the whole thing now looks similar to a patchwork, but still, it's a very nice touch indeed.
* The "Boost Rush" mode. Every level is now a FixedScrollingLevel, and it ''speeds up'' as you collect coins. Levels will get ''very'' crazy this time.
* The confirmation of this game coming out at launch, making it the first major ''Mario'' launch title since ''VideoGame/SuperMario64''.
* [[http://www.wiiz.fr/medias/soft/21/6479/58.jpg Looks like we can take the Baby Yoshis out of their levels now.]]
* Sumo Bros are in! As is Kamek! And hell, [[http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendoarticles/new-super-mario-bros-u-kamek-and-boom-boom-shown/ Kamek even helps out Boom Boom with magic!]]
* All of the Koopalings now have wildly different fighting styles, which pleases people considering that their battles in the last two games were both easy and similar. For example, Iggy's battle has him running on the ceiling and summoning lava monsters, and Ludwig summons clones to attack you.
* Nintendo will make VideoGame/NewSuperLuigiU that will feature [[EnsembleDarkHorse Luigi]] in a single-player campaign with 80 new and challenging levels! Year of Luigi[[note]] Nintendo themselves called 2013 as such due to the year marking a MilestoneCelebration for Luigi's debut in ''VideoGame/MarioBros''; also, ''VideoGame/LuigisMansionDarkMoon'' and ''VideoGame/MarioAndLuigiDreamTeam'' come out in 2013[[/note]], indeed!
** It seems that Luigi will get his [[VideoGame/SuperMarioBrosTheLostLevels trademark high jump and slippery traction]] for this title as well!