Ever since it was a tech demo for the Wii U
, New Super Mario Bros. U
was little more than... well, a tech demo. But after its full reveal at E3 2012, well, things just got real.
- The numerous throwbacks to Super Mario World, a nice change of pace after the ones to Super Mario Bros. 3 found in New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario 3D Land.
- The first player can finally play as someone other than Mario.
- The announcement of the possibility of more characters, a power up selection that rivals Super Mario Bros. 3 (which means the game may have at least 8 different power-ups), and the option of making co-op players intangible to one another. However, the extra characters and intangible feature did not make it into the game.
- This game puts a twist on the usual Save the Princess Excuse Plot that while Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad are visiting Princess Peach, Bowser's airship literally grabs the heroes and throws them all the way out of the Mushroom Kingdom, making Princess Peach once again a prisoner within her own castle. The four heroes must then race back to the Mushroom Kingdom to save her.
- The one-up trick now has an official game mode entirely devoted to it!
- Time Attack mode finally makes its official game debut in the Mario series!
- The world map, akin to Super Mario World (sort of), is now shared between all worlds. In other words, every world map is stuck to the next one and shares the same screen. Sure, it feels a bit "forced", as the whole thing now looks similar to a patchwork, but still, it's a very nice touch indeed.
- The "Boost Rush" mode. Every level is now a Fixed Scrolling Level, and it speeds up as you collect coins. Levels will get very crazy this time.
- The confirmation of this game coming out at launch, making it the first major Mario launch title since Super Mario 64.
- Looks like we can take the Baby Yoshis out of their levels now.◊
- Sumo Bros are in! As is Kamek! And hell, Kamek even helps out Boom Boom with magic!
- All of the Koopalings now have wildly different fighting styles, which pleases people considering that their battles in the last two games were both easy and similar. For example, Iggy's battle has him running on the ceiling and summoning lava monsters.
- Nintendo will make New Super Luigi U that will feature Luigi in a single-player campaign with 80 new and challenging levels! Year of Luiginote , indeed!