And The Fandom Rejoiced: Comic Books
aka: Comic Book
Comic books often have large announcements
to create excitement, especially when someone famous is hired to write or draw a story.
open/close all folders
- Gail Simone being named as the writer for Wonder Woman.
- "Gail's off the book now? Dammit... oh, well, wonder who the new writer's gonna be? J. Michael Straczynski? YES!"note
- DC is going to put out a new digital comic about Wonder Woman called "Sensation Comics." And the writer of the first story arc...GAIL SIMONE. And, wait, hold on, the preview mentions "Oracle," so it must take place pre-New 52!
- Secret Six is returning!
- Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne. Batman, fighting his way through all of history, with the first edition being illustrated by Chris Sprouse and written by Grant Morrison. Epic. Win.
- The existence of the Jason Rusch run of Firestorm was full of these, having reappearances by the supporting cast of the Ronnie Raymond days, including: Firehawk, Pohzar/Mikhail Arkadin, and several of the original Firestorm villains (Killer Frost, Multiplex, Typhoon, even Cliff "Thinker" Carmichael). Raymond even came back from the dead in a story arc, and eventually Rusch would be joined by Martin Stein himself to form Firestorm. In one issue, Rusch even makes a veiled fourth wall reference to the fandom rejoicing in his book, as he comments about how he fashioned his costume to look more like the "classic" Firestorm design.
- The Milestone Characters becoming integrated into DC Canon.
- Okay, so DC is putting out one last issue of several long-cancelled titles to "resurrect them" as a tie-in to Blackest Night. Sounds like a crossover stunt to- HOLY SHIT OSTRANDER AND SIMONE ARE WORKING TOGETHER ON A SECRET SIX/SUICIDE SQUAD TEAM-UP AND O'NEIL AND COWAN ARE DOING THE QUESTION!
- Oh Bart Allen is back... AND HE'S BACK TO HIS OLD PERSONALITY?!
- Man I miss the DCAU.. wait.. Batman Beyond will be integrated into the DC canon and Static is getting a new comic....Excuse me for a moment, I'll be right back after geeking out!!!
- Yeah... except the former is being written by Adam Beechen, aka the guy who derailed Cassandra Cain. Still, he was a great animation writer so this may actually be up his alley.
- Many Cassandra Cain fans were rejoicing when she returned in Batman Incorporated #6 as Blackbat!
- Recent news of the massive reboot of the DC Universe has been met with predictable reactions, but there are a few things that couldn't get more warmth:
- Blue Beetle getting new ongoing!
- Resurrection Man series written by his original creators, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning of Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy fame!
- Demon Knights - Etrigan series in the Middle Ages, by Paul Cornell? Hell yes!
- Frankenstein: Agent Of S.H.A.D.E.!
- Aquaman is getting a new ongoing series written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Ivan Reis, the team behind Green Lantern: Secret Origin.
- GRANT MORRISON IS WRITING ACTION COMICS!!!!
- The six-issue arc format is no longer being enforced. Writers now have the freedom to decide the length of their own stories, they no longer have to pad out four issues of story to fill six issues.
- The realization that Eric Wallace's run on Titans is going to be cancelled after August's issue, a run that immediately got off to the wrong start with the death of Ryan Choi and proceeded to get worse as it went on.
- James Robinson's writing a 12-issue series focused on The Shade! Woopwoopwoopwoop!
- The Atom being on the Justice League was met with a fairly average response, until at San Diego Comic Con, Jim Lee dropped strong hints that it's Ryan Choi (who many feel was unjustly killed at the start of the aforementioned Titans book) behind the mask...
- Scott Snyder on Batman!! Kyle Higgins on Nightwing!!
- Animal Man and Swamp Thing getting their own ongoings? Yes! They quickly turn out to be among the best series of the entire relaunch? Duoble yes!
- So far, averted with former Batgirls Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown, former Flash Wally West, and Donna Troy.
- An issue of The All New Batman: The Brave and the Bold with all the Robins, including Stephanie and Carrie? Yes!
- Stephanie Brown's Batman Inc issue will be in Leviathan Strikes, by Grant Morrisson and Cameron Stewart!
- Stephanie Brown is BATGIRL IN LEVIATHAN STRIKES!
- The Sandman prequel, by Neil Gaiman, with JH Williams doing the art for the 25th anniversary in 2013.
- There's going to be a New 52 Earth 2? Let's just see how they manage to screw it up.... They got James Robinson to write it?! And it features completely different origins for the heroes?!
- Earth2 was great, but now James is leaving it, it's going to crash and.....TOM TAYLOR!
- Yeah, but still not so sur...wait, Nicola Scott is staying on?! Okay!
- Hmm, Trinity War is neat so far, and Forever Evil looks decent, but how can they really....The CRIME SYNDICATE OF AMERICA!? ULTRAMAN, OWLMAN, SUPERWOMAN, POWERRING AND....DEATHSTORM!? Lex and Ultraman in battle....or Black Adam and Ultra Man....DC TAKE MY MONEY!
- Man, the Superman titles haven't been doing all that well (Bar Morrison run Action Comics), it says something when Lobdell is the best writer in the family. Wait, a Superman title done by Scott Snyder!? Nice, but it seems to be sort of on its own, so does that really.....GREG PAK IS WRITING A BATMAN-SUPERMAN SERIES, AND ACTION COMICS!? The World War Hulk writer on Superman.....YAY!
- Now that Scott Lobdell is gone with the main Superman title, I just hope that they get anyone better to- GEOFF JOHNS IS THE NEW WRITER?!? Yes!
- The New 52 is still missing a ton of characters, and the fans won't be happy until they all appear, but with all the changes can they even all....Wait, who was Lex Luthor talking to in Forever Evil...Thomas Kord, the father of Ted Kord?, and written by Geoff Johns, the Silver age Lover....This is promising, very promising.
- Better yet, Johns confirms that Ted Kord is coming back!
- Ah, New York Comic Con; a perfect time to find out little tidbits that just get the fans to rejoice, wonder what gets posted first.....a weekly Batman title? Okay, there is such thing as too much Batman you know.....wait, did Snyder just say Stephanie Brown!?!?
- So, the Flash is getting a creative team that is on par with his old one? Nice, but what sort of things will be put on the table....W...Wally West is returning!
- You know, Green Lantern was so good, particularly the last issue under Geoff Johns, however I wonder if we are ever going to see any of this fu.....Wait, we'll see the fabled Jessica Cruz in Justice League? And she'll have Power Ring's ring!?
- Ambush Bug is going to be in a short story in the Convergence crossover. REJOICE!
- There's a new Godzilla comic series out. Ho-hum, same old cheesy battles against monsters no one cares abou-Wait, is that Mothra on the cover? Anguirus too? This is going to be awesome!
- Well, the covers are probably going to look cra- Awesome!
- Godzilla Legends? Okay, I don't see why- wait, Anguirus fighting Destoroyah? An entire issue dedicated to Rodan? The Simeons? Retro-style Mecha-Godzilla? Miki Saegusa? Matt Frank doing the interiors for the first issue? SWEEET! Art Adams, Bob Eggleton and Chris Scalf doing the covers for the first time since the Dark Horse Godzilla comics doesn't hurt either
- James Stokoe Orc Stain doing Godzilla comics. Don't let me repeat that.
- In Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters, Space Godzilla. In Godzilla Ongoing, Mothra, Kiryu and Gigan.
- IDW has gained rights for 20+ monsters including Sanda, Gaira, Megaguirus, Moguera, Ebirah, Megalon and Jet Jaguar. Let me repeat that, Jet. Jaguar. Is. Going. To. Make. An. Appearance. In. Comics. For. The. First. Time.
- As of November 21st: Biollante.
- It gets even better. Two words: Monster. X.
- Godzilla: Rulers of the Earth. They are bringing in Varan, Destoroyah and, possibly, Gorosaurus.
- Even better, MATT FRANK IS DOING THE INTERIORS! NERDGASM!
- The first monster that Godzilla is fighting is Zilla? WHAAAAAAAAT!? Wait, he's going to just be another monster? They're going to have an actual fight? This. Might. Just. Work.
- Some new pictures have arrived as concept art. ◊ ◊ Is that a female protagonist? Steve Woods? MANDA!? This is gonna rock!
- CONFIRMED◊! Wait, is that GEZORA!?
- Wait, what's this◊? Is that Orga?
- Keizer Ghidorah has been confirmed as of Godzilla issue 12.
- BARAGON CONFIRMED!
- Millenium Gigan!
- Wait, there's a comic that's set in the past? IT'S STARRING KING SEESAR!?
- IDW gives us a Cross Through of two of Sci-Fi's longest running series with Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation².
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is getting a COMIC BOOK! For more information go here.
- IDW announced Super Secret Crisis War for June. In other words, a crossover between the characters of Dexter's Labroratory, The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Ben 10, and Ed, Edd n Eddy with one-shots of other Cartoon Network shows. Tropers, our life long dream has come true.
- Star Trek IDW #36. "The Q Gambit". And they're gonna visit a certain spacestation!
- IDW's next big crossover? Between Star Trek: The Original Series and The Planet Of The Apes. Title? "The Primate Directive".
- The facts were these. Pushing Daisies had met an unfortunate demise at the hands of an apathetic network after suffering in its first season thanks to the writer's strike, meaning that the much awaited Ned vs. zombies plotline would indeed never happen and many loose threads would, alas, remain lose. But then, as though gifted with the piemaker's touch, Warner Brothers production company resurrected the program by gaving the okay to one Bryan Fuller to recruit three of the show's other writers to continue the story in comic form, and series composer Jim Dooley to release a companion soundtrack. Said books are due to be released sometime this year. At this very moment, nine million, four-hundred and sixty thousand nerds are punching their fists in the air.
- Thanks to Archie Comics, we have this: Sonic and Mega Man crossing over. For. The. First. Time.
- Oh, they're making another one? Yawn... hmm, new teaser pic... wait, is that Sticks the Badger and Mega Man X?! Sonic Boom is getting involved in this, too?!
- Rule 63 Archie?! Done by Gisele Lagace?!!note and guest starring Sabrina?! Strange things happenin' in Riverdale...
- If you told someone a few years ago that Archie would make a comic about zombies they'd laugh. Not so much now that Afterlife With Archie is a thing.
- Sabrina is back and she's darker than ever, thanks to Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina. Even Sabrina having a bob again in her Archie cameos (after years of swaying styles) made fans hyped
- Many fans of the TV show Heroes were pleased with this announcement.
- Did you guys miss the Darkwing Duck series by BOOM Comics? It's coming back, courtesy of new company Joe Books.
- The Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics have been hit and miss with most fans; season 8 is almost universally hated while season 9 was a dead bore. Then season 10 came along. Look up some reviews. Almost everyone is saying that finally, we've got some comics that actually feel like they're set in the Buffyverse.