Different Types of Sick Episodes
Sick Episodes will likely be played differently dependent on the type of work. The most common ways of Playing With the Sick Episode is For Laughs, For Drama, and Straight. The characters all getting sick, or several getting sick one by one can be in either version.
StraightWhen Sick Episode is played straight, which is common in children's entertainment and Sitcoms, it will usually be one of these types of diseases:
- Tonsillitis (see The Tonsillitis Episode)
- A cold
- The flu
- A stomach bug.
- Appendicitis (see Ruptured Appendix)
- Chicken pox
- Measles (generally in older works)
- Mumps (Ditto)
- Some kind of sci-fi or fantasy disease, although these are often also Played for Laughs or Played for Drama.
- The sick character gets put into bed and told to rest.
- The sick character gets given a hot drink and/or some soup.
- The sick character gets given medicine that they hate.
- The sick character has an important job/responsibility and Chaos Ensues because either they attempt at Working Through the Cold and mess up, or someone else has to fill in for them and they mess up.
- Another character (or more than one) catches the illness, often at the end, possibly resulting in Caretaker Reversal.
- If it's a cold, expect them to be talking funny and wrapped in a blanket.
- A fun event is cancelled or the sick character has to miss out because they are sick.