- In the Queen song "The Seven Seas of Rhye", the lyrics are essentially Freddie Mercury stating this.
- "Princes of the Universe" too:
"I am immortal,I have inside me blood of kings!I have no rivalNo man can be my equal!"
- "Princes of the Universe" was written specifically for the Highlander movie, so it's fitting.
- "Princes of the Universe" too:
- Jay-Z's nickname Hova/Hov comes from Jehovah, a name for God in the Hebrew Scriptures.
- Rakim was calling himself (and being called by others) God long before him. Canibus also claimed that the fact that he wasn't worshiped seemed absurd to him.
- Regal Pinion's song, "Clockwork Seraph" has shades of this. His song "Kafkaesque" the narrator says this verbatim, then again seeing as the song is from the perspective of the Big Bad in Final Fantasy VI, this can be expected.
- In The Who's Tommy, the title character doesn't so much believe he's God as believe that he's the Messiah, and the trope is subverted in that his followers ultimately reject him, but "Sensation" contains the following lyrics:
- "I leave a trail of rooted peopleMesmerized by just the sight,The few I touched now are disciplesLove as OneI am the Light ?"
- Gita by Brazilian rock star Raul Seixas:
- "I am the bitter taste on the tongueThe mother, the father and the grandfatherThe son who's yet to comeThe beginning, the end and the middleI am the beginning, the end and the middle"
- "Experiments in Mass Appeal" by Frost*:
- Forever, immortallyEndeavor, a god I'll beRemember realityForever, immortally
- Handlebars, by Flobots, has this in the latter end of its slow spiral into darkness:
- 'Cause I can guide a missile by satellite! By satellite! By satellite!And I can hit a target through a telescope! Through a telescope! Through a telescope!And I can end the planet in a holocaust! In a holocaust! In a holocaust!In a holocaust! In a holocaust! In a HOLOCAAAAAUUUUUST!
- Glinda and Elphaba call each other out in this in "Defying Gravity":
- ELPHABA:I hope you're proud how you wouldGrovel in submissionTo feed your own ambitionGLINDA:Can't I make you understand?You're having delusions of grandeur
- A couple of songs by Innerpartysysten invoke this trope;
- Don't Stop:
The road I walk is paved in goldTo glorify my platinum soulI am the closest thing to GodSo worship me and never stop
- American Trash:
I've got this planet in my handsYou know I'll waste it if I can
- Don't Stop:
- Deify by Disturbed: Or rather "A god you are not!"
- It seems so clear now what I must do, You're no immortalI won't let them deify youThey view you as the new messiahDeify you. Renew belief in some demented man
- The pharaoh in The Dark Eternal Night by Dream Theater declares that he is a god.
- I am the lastBorn of the blood of the pharaohsThe ultimate god of a rotting creationSent to unleash this curse
- Between the Buried and Me, a Progressive Death Metal band from North Carolina, wrote an entire Concept Album based around two characters— one of which believes himself to be a god. This is especially made obvious in "Augment of Rebirth"
- To create. To recreate.Have I become a god?I have been called much worse.Secretly that title makes me feel comfortable.In my place, it's been a while.This god-like complex does bring me a smile.To create. To recreate.
- Where to begin with Kanye West? The fact that some fans refer to him as Yeezus (a portmanteau of Yeezy and Jesus), the fact that one of his albums is named Yeezus, or the fact that on Yeezus he has the song "I Am A God"?
- I just talked to JesusHe said 'what up Yeezus'I said 'shit, I'm chilling'Tryna stack these millionsI know he the most highBut I am a close highThat's that cosa nostraI Am A God
- Twisted Eyes by Persuader:
"You ask me if I have a God complex? Let me tell you something: I am God."
- "The Reflecting God" from the Marilyn Manson concept album Antichrist Superstar:
- I went to god just to see, and I was looking at meSaw heaven and hell were lies
- In Dan Bern's song "Jerusalem," the protagonist reveals himself to be the Messiah. This trope is also played with by the protagonist of another song from the same album, "King of the World":
- I don't need you to bow downI'm not God, I'm just the King, I realize.Well, it might be nice though if you'd kiss my feetAnd call me "All knowing leader of men"If you were king of the world I'm sure you'd want the same for yourself.
- Swedish singer/songwriter Eva Dahlgren's Jag är gud ("I am god"). More like Pieces of God, however.
- In Eminem's "Rap God" not only does he call himself this but also a superhuman and that he has the key to immortality.
A God Am I / Music
A lot of Music deals with heavy themes, and delusions of godhood are no exception.