A Dog Named Dog: Comic Strips
- The Family Circus features a cat named Kittycat.
- The main protagonist in Footrot Flats is a dog called The Dog; he has a real name, but it's never revealed, because the Dog hates the name and attacks anyone who tries to say it. Oddly enough, the Anti-Villain Horse is... a cat.
- Invoked in a Garfield strip where Lyman says that he grew up with four cats all named Cat. When Jon asked him why, Lyman said there was no point in giving a name to an animal that won't come when you call it.
- This trope applied to Odie in an early Norwegian translation (it seemed to be a running theme - Jon had no name either). Later translations settled on a more personalized name.
- Hi and Lois have a dog named Dawg.
- Often lampshaded in Pearls Before Swine. The four main characters are a rat, pig, zebra and goat named "Rat", "Pig", "Zebra" and "Goat". At one point, "Goat" is revealed to be a stage name — his real name is Paris.