A Brief Explanation
So what I'm doing here is an "Egg Run". This is a type of run of Pokemon games, of course. The rules are as follows:
1) Play normally until, and only until, trading becomes available in the game.
2) Once that is reached, I must trade 6 of my Pokemon for eggs from 6 individuals; in my run, I will be receiving eggs from Darker Shining, strawberryflavored, Slouch, Bad Wolf, Pipping Fool, and Pikaninja. I must release/box all other Pokemon.
3) Once I have hatched all 6 eggs, I may only use that team of 6 throughout the game. The only exception is that I may temporarily bring in HM Slaves for the sole purpose of using HM moves in the field. I may not use them in battle, not even as a "sacrifice".
3.1) I may keep some of my old Pokemon in order to raise the level 1 hatchlings. Once they're at levels where they can fight on their own the old Pokemon get boxed, however.
4) The eggs may not: Be born knowing any level-up moves above level 1, any TM moves, or any Egg moves. If a mistake happens regarding that the fix is as simple as not using that move and replacing/deleting it as soon as I can. This is a fairly lax run, I'm not barred from it if a Clefairy is born knowing Flash or something. The egg should preferably
avoid Magikarp Power
Pokemon such as Pseudo-legendaries, Larvesta, or the trope namer itself and Feebas. One of these would be fine though. If the Pokemon can be born as a "baby" form via Incense, it must
be born as that, not as the evolved form.
4.1) If the Pokemon requires odd circumstances to evolve that aren't available directly in-game (Such as trades, trading with a held item, or really anything outside of level-up, happiness, or stones) I will choose a reasonable "level" at which the mon would evolve normally, and evolve it at that level. For example, should I get an Onix, I would wait until around, say, level 36 before trading in a Metal Coat and evolving it. 36 seems like a reasonable level, no? I will not be denied any unusual evolution methods just because they aren't initially available in Black and White. Even so far as to import a Remoraid for evolving Mantyke.
4.2) While not a rule
, I put in a request that my 6 egg donors collaborate to avoid giving me too many overlapping types and to try to give me a reasonable balance of Physical and Special attackers. Playing through the game with just 6 different (Or identical!) Special Water types would be annoying, not fun. At least not in this run. Maybe I'll monotype another time.
5) I may not know the identity of the Pokemon within the eggs until I hatch them myself. I may not make requests or suggestions, either. It is to be a complete surprise for me.
6) I may catch Reshiram at the finale to proceed, but must not use it in battle. Technically I can catch any mon if I want, I just can't use them. Fainting would work better due to experience points of course.
7) Should I encounter a Shiny by chance, I may temporarily break the challenge to catch it by any means necessary
, even if such actions are technically breaking the other rules (Such as using an HM slave to weaken it). I may then box it and trade it over to my main game after I've completed the challenge. I may not use it within this challenge, except as an aforementioned HM slave (Mundane Utility
much?). I doubt this rule will apply though. Been avidly playing since Red and Blue and have never seen a shiny, not even after hatching over 300 Masuda Method Mienfoos. The RNG hates me. =_=
8) This isn't a Nuzlocke. I can heal fainted Pokemon and do not have to quit if all my Pokemon faint. Really, aside from being restricted to these 6 Pokemon it isn't too different from a normal game.
9) This run will probably only go up to the defeat of
Ghetsis and the ending. I could try to do postgame stuff, but I've done it all before in White version and all... I think I'll just end with the game's finale, send any useful items or mons to White version, then delete this game and start a different run, such as a Nuzlocke or a monotype challenge.
So now that those rules are established, I shall prepare to enter the world of Pokemon! I will try my best to make this interesting, with humor and plot twists and all that. Changes to the story as I see fit.
So, let's have some fun with this thing.
Thanks, you guys. Hoping to not only have fun with the game itself, but improve my writing skills by liveblogging it.
Thanks for posting the rules and such, it certainly made things clearer for me. Really looking forward to it, and I hope you have fun.
Much luck Anom. I'll be sending my egg tomorrow.
Looking forward to reading this as well. Will be able to trade tomorrow.
Looking forward. Sounds much more interesting than a Nuzlocke to me.
Ah, I guess my Egg didn't get through... Oh well. Best of luck!