- Page: 15
Battlefield 9: White Rose Domain, or: RERUNS RERUNS RERUNS
With the help of the Royal Army and the tremendous power of the Black Rose's prized Ankh, the White Rose-Imperial Army alliance was annihilated, and Rosary retreated to her home territory.
Sensing danger from the house of the White Rose's alliance with the Empire, the Royal Army headed for the White Rose Manor to seek the truth behind the war and convince Rosary to end the conflict.
However, dire news reached Rosary during her meeting with Yggdra. Under cover of darkness, Roswell, head of the house of the Black Rose, had begun an invasion of the White Rose Domain.Battlefield 09: White Rose Domain Near Mazetta Bridge: Check Point!
- Milanor: Well, now what do we do?
- Durant: This bodes ill. I didn't expect civil war to break out... Verlaine Hills is in no state to help us.
- Yggdra: I agree. More importantly, if this conflict continues... You might need to actually form an opinion?
- Milanor: Lord Roswell will shoot that Ankh thing all over the place. You saw what it does. It's a bigger threat than any enemy. Well, except for the part where it can't kill you. If he's not careful, this place is just gonna be...
- Durant: Another Lost Aries... What're you willing to bet that we're going to go to that place?
- Milanor: Exactly. Before you start wondering how Milanor knows about anything outside of his valley, I'm going to say that there is a reason he knows about this particular place.
- Yggdra: We must prevent that from happening... Durant, can we meet with the ruler of the White Rose?
- Durant: You mean Lady Rosary, of the house of Esmeralda?
- Milanor: We just trashed her army... You think she'll want to chat? It's a very bad sign when the illiterate highwayman is the smartest member of the main cast.
- Yggdra: As long as we go by ourselves. We must try, at least. Because... I also want to know why a Dragon General was here...
- Durant: I agree. It's a matter worth pursuing. I will arrange a meeting with Lady Rosary.
- Rosary: Hmmm... You're asking me to stop?
- Rosary: You know nothing... How dare you speak to me this way. Anyway, if you hadn't meddled, this would already be over.
- Yggdra: But... Didn't you see the power of the Ankh? Yggdra, you need to learn that military leaders don't think like normal people. When they see a superweapon wipe out their forces, their reaction is less "Oh crap, I'm going to die!" and more "Where can I get me one of those?". If the war continues, this whole land will be destroyed.
- Rosary: I'm quite aware of that. I'll finish it before that happens... Then they think they can do stuff like this.
- Yggdra: You have no intention of backing down?
- Rosary: Well... It all depends on his... Roswell's... attitude. Hm!?
- White Rose Messenger (Knight): L-Lady Rosary!
- Rosary: What's wrong? You're hurt...!
- White Rose Messenger: Th-The Black Rose Army is... They're coming!
- Rosary: What!? What happened to the patrol unit!? They were all golems, which are irredeemably terrible in every way.
- White Rose Messenger: They were decimated... The enemy... is almost here... Lady Rosary... Please run... a...way...
- Rosary: H-Hey! Snap out of it! That's an order! O-Open your eyes!
- Yggdra: ......!
- Rosary: ............ I think someone ordered a few too many ellipses and they're just trying to use them up. ...He wants a battle, does he...? I'll give him one!
- Yggdra: Wait! Let us talk to Roswell! We'll persuade him to withdraw his troops!
- Rosary: What are you talking about? They're already here! It's too late for negotiations! I'm going! ...nowhere, because she's an NPC.
- Rosary: Hurry and intercept the enemy!
- Roswell: The White Rose Manor is just past those bridges! Charge!
- Milanor: Now there's a man bent on revenge...
- Durant: I'm concerned... They're too well prepared. No they're not. In fact, the only reason this force is any threat is because the level's locked to night. It hasn't been that long since the last battle.
- Milanor: You're right. Something's fishy here...
- Durant: Princess, what should we do?
- Yggdra: We shall go too. This time... We must protect the people of the White Rose!
- Destroy all bridges! (Have golems destroy all Bridge)
- If Yggdra, Milanor, Rosary, or Golems die...
- If you use up all your cards...
- If an enemy Skeleton crosses the river...
Well, time to prepare! Yggdra eats a Medallion, Milanor takes two (the greedy bastard), and Durant doesn't equip anything to replace his now-expired Fur Coat because I can't think of anything to replace it with. I'm given 8 cards to work with, so I take Steal, Bloody Claw, Shield Barrier, Banish (lots of holy-weak foes here), Revolution, Mind Change, Banshee's Cry, and Blizzard.
Near Mazetta Bridge: Check Point!
- Durant: The Black Rose Army's vanguard contains skeleton units!
- Milanor: Rockpiles on one side, walking corpses on the other... Sheesh.
- Yggdra: What should we do...? It's cute how the game pretends skeletons are threatening.
- Rosary: You there! If you're going to get in the way, leave now!
- Milanor: But... They're already right here! If we don't stop them, this'll be so much scorched earth!
- Rosary: Don't you think I know that!? That's why I'm having my golems destroy the bridges. If you must help, hold them off until the bridges fall. Got that? If the golems are destroyed, we're lost. Because skeletons are totally the most threatening thing in the world JUST SHUT UP AND LET ME KILL THINGS! Make yourselves useful and protect them!
- Yggdra: I understand. We shall do it!
- Milanor: Alright... let's buy some time!
- Yggdra: Let's go!
It's about time they shut up. Anyway, the gimmick here is that Rosary is using her golems, Destroyer and Doom, to break the two bridges on the map. Unfortunately, golems move at approximately five meters per hour, so I have to keep the skeletons from crossing the bridges. This would be difficult if they were not skeletons. Anyway, Rosary uses the first turn to send her golems forward, after which I can move out. I choose Revolution, and...
- Milanor: Listen up. While the golems are smashing the bridges... It's our job to stop the enemy from crossing them. Let's go!
Gee, thanks for explaining that right after I was finished, Milanor. Anyway, Yggdra moves up to a skeleton.
- Yggdra: W-Will my blade even work on them?
Not only will her blade work on them, but it'll prove quite perfectly suited to slaying them. I prove this by having her vanquish a skeleton in a single strike. Durant is there so he can claim to have helped. To protect the other bridge, I send Milanor right up to the nearest skeleton.
- Milanor: Tch... These guys give me the creeps!
I also move Nietzsche out of the way of the golems. I was going to do this awesome thing where Nietzsche would take a water tile and become invincible, but the game had to rain on my parade by putting another grass tile on the far side of the bridge. On Roswell's turn, a skeleton dies on Milanor's axelike thingamajig. You'd think they'd learn at some point. On my turn, I choose Shield Barrier because of a reason, then move Nietzsche to support Milanor in the slaying of the skeleton next to him. Turns out a critical hit works just as well, though. Roswell then proceeds to send his one remaining skeleton to fight Yggdra and Durant. When the smoke clears, the battle's main loss condition can no longer be satisfied. Then, right on cue...
Mobilize! -Time to move out!-
- Mizer: You're not getting away, my little meal ticket!
- Yggdra: Look! It's...
- Milanor: That bounty hunter again!? He sure seems to love his job... I bet I can change that!
This time around, Mizer has some nice Ranger Boots for us. He also still fails formations, because he sends his bandit alone to face Yggdra and Durant. Durant loses, but it doesn't matter because I'm about to send Milanor after the man himself (also Durant leveled up). I use Steal, of course. I quickly find myself one pair of Ranger Boots richer, and Milanor wins again on Mizer's turn (after Roswell does nothing, of course).
- Mizer: I don't like the way the scales are tipping here...
- Mizer: Retreat!
On Rosary's turn, she finally gets a golem to one of the bridges. I won't dignify the golem's sacrifice with a transcription of its death quote, but Milanor determines that we shouldn't let any of the nonexistent remaining skeletons through the other way. I then choose Banish for the purposes of getting some XP off of Roswell. Normally he'd be some sort of threat, but this card does holy damage, which Roswell is weak to. This allows anyone to gain a lead against him, giving us plenty of XP for our trouble. The very next turn, Rosary gets the second bridge.
Defended! -Protected from the enemy!-
- Yggdra: Both bridges are down!
- Milanor: Looks like they made it!
- Roswell: Tch... We're too late.
- Durant: The bridges have been destroyed!
- Milanor: Ha! All they can do is stare at those bridges like dopes. If that's settled, then next up is... ...the big reveal of Roswell's Imperial sponsor?
- Yggdra: Look! Over there!
- Durant: That's... Leon the Black Knight! The Empire is with them, too!?
- Milanor: I knew it! The Empire is behind all of this!
- Leon: Ho-ho! Well, well... If it isn't Princess Yggdra! Hi, Evil Dogi! It's been a while, hasn't it? Crushed any heroic walls lately? I never thought I'd run into her here...
- Defeat Black Knight Leon!
- Yggdra: Leon! What's your scheme this time!? He was scheming the last time we met?
- Leon: Scheme? Hell, I just heard there was a war and wanted in! I'm coming for you, so run while you still can!
The Empire arrives, bearing the Chariot card. This drops your unit's numbers to whatever the user's numbers are, and can only be used by knights. Of course, Leon fails to utilize it effectively. Or maybe he thinks he's got linked unions already. Anyway, on Rosary's turn...
- Rosary: You give me no choice... Prepare the cannon!
- White Rose Soldier: Yes, Ms. Rosary!
Yes, Rosary has an ankh too. Not that it's all that surprising. Guess mutually assured destruction doesn't exist in this setting. Anyway, Leon's not so tough. His item of choice is the Phalanx, which has a property that won't do anything to us until late chapter 4. I choose Revolution to start my attack against Leon, moving Yggdra out of the union forever and subsequently striking Roswell down with Milanor, Nietzsche, and Durant. Actually, only Milanor fights, but whatever.
Withdraw! -Forced to retreat.-
- Roswell: ...Hmm... It seems futile...
I then have Yggdra take Roswell's old Gargoyle Rod to add to our fortune, before ducking back out of the fray. Leon's forces suck, so they're only able to bring Nietzsche down whilst suffering a loss themselves. Leon himself then ruins a perfectly good formation from his assassins by charging up toward us.
- Leon: Good to see you again, kid! You won't get lucky this time...
- Milanor: Tch! Now's not the time for this...
Rosary's turn is next, and you know what that means?
- Leon: Come one, come all! We've got a special on bloody murder today!
- Milanor: Damn, he's a beast! Where did he get all that power?
- Durant: Princess! Stay back!
- Yggdra: No... I can still fight!
- White Rose Soldier: Everything is ready now, Ms. Rosary.
- Rosary: Good! Let's give them a full-power blast... Fire!
- Yggdra: This light...!
- Milanor: You don't mean...!
- Leon: U-Urgh...!?
- Heavy Knight: Arrrrrgh!
- Milanor: The White Rose had one up her sleeve, too!?
- Yggdra: An Ankh...!
Well, I've got a bit of a dilemma. You see, I need to finish the fight on this turn (21, if anyone cares) for the quick clear bonus. This means I need to end Leon right now. To do this, I pick Steal, then move Nietzsche so she'll attack later in the union. After taking the Phalanx, Leon will lose a point of Atk (2 versus 3). Or not, because Milanor kills him with a critical hit on his attack 'cause that's just how he rolls. You could say that was a success.
Pull Back! -Time to regroup!-
- Leon: ...Dammit! Fall back!
- Durant: That was too close for my liking...
- Milanor: Even the Black Knight had to turn tail against that thing.
- Yggdra: Is Rosary alright? We should discuss this with her.
- Milanor: No kidding...
Another MVP bonus for Milanor, who gains more Gen. I then get Leon's Phalanx, plus his and Roswell's cards.
White Rose Manor: Check Point!
- Rosary: The Ankh is a means of raising one's magical power. If I could collect both of them... You'd have 2 ankhs. That's neat, but not too terribly awesome. I'd be mightier than Valois, our common ancestor.
- Yggdra: Then, you're fighting over that Ankh...?
- Rosary: Not just me! Roswell wants them, too, but he won't get mine. This is starting to sound like two kids on a playground trying to steal each other's Pokemon cards.
- Milanor: You've both got one... Why not just call it even?
- Rosary: Why, power like this is the heart's desire of any magician. And of course, I have my domain to protect as well. Roswell is my rival... Naturally, I can't back down. Congratulations, Sting. You've reduced the Cold War to an elementary school rivalry.
- Yggdra: *sigh* Neither side seems to be willing to call it off...
- Durant: Reaching the Lenessey Mountains won't be easy...
- Milanor: Don't forget, we've gotta find out what the Empire's up to. You've probably already figured it out, though.
- Durant: We cannot leave things the way they are.
- Yggdra: You're right. But what can we do...?
- Necro Gate: Summons skeletons.
- Movement: 11
- Starting power: 1400
- Ace type: Rod
- Skill type: X
- Damage: 2 (unconditional)
- Requirement: Necromancer only; Night only
- Notes: See Doll Craft. Except instead of destroying things you might want, skeletons turn into immobile punching bags at noon. At least they can move more than one space at a time...
- Chariot: Cuts enemy numbers to same as yours.
- Movement: 9
- Starting power: 1800
- Ace type: Spear
- Skill type: X
- Damage: Varies
- Requirements: Knight only
- Notes: Naturally, this is best against small units, who'll feel its effects more. However, it's surprisingly difficult to encounter situations where this is useful.
- Gargoyle Rod: A staff with a gargoyle design on the head.
- Stats: Gen-2, Atk+4, Tec+4, Luk-4
- Ability: Night Advantage
- Duration: 3 maps
- Used by: Roswell
- Notes: This looks to be a good item, aside from the bizarrely terrible Luk.
- Phalanx: A thin, long spear to reach archers from a distance.
- Stats: Atk+4, Tec+2
- Ability: Advantage against archers
- Duration: 3 maps
- Used by: Durant
- Notes: Nothing but positives. Though I'm not sure how they expect a non-thrown spear to outrange a bow of any sort.
- Ranger Boots: Boots that let the wearer walk over any terrain.
- Stats: Gen+2, Tec+4
- Ability: Geo +10%
- Duration: 2 maps
- Used by: Not Horse/Swim
- Notes: 10% really isn't enough to make any meaningful difference, but it's the thought that counts. I guess the Tec boost is nice, too.
That wasn't exactly a challenge. Much of it stems from the fact that Leon happens to be the wimpiest Dragon General. Roswell, meanwhile, isn't fighting anyone against whom his night advantage will be of any help, because his rod already gives him the upper hand against the entire Royal Army (he also has a weakness, which doesn't bode well for his survival). Really, the only threat on this map is the pair of generic assassins who have night advantage. And that truly is pathetic.
- Page: 15