- There you have it folks, a plan so stupid, even Nanase has realized it is. It's why, mostly, I've been avoiding ranting about it.
- Although, naturally, it still makes Nanase a completely manipulative douche. This is 2005, with bisexual and an assortment of oddities. You should not feel this needy to hide it.
- I mean, you could make an argument that she's in denial, but the problem with that is, then, she never actually comes to terms with it.
- Also, that title makes me doubt your professionalism, for some very odd elaborate reason.
Sketchbook Strip 110505
Remember guys, Nanase is a strong individual character who has traits other than being a hot female lesbian.
Hah. Who am I kidding? Shive has no strong individual characters.
- You know how this party took an entire year to unfold?
- You now know why. Because Shive has no information control.
- This needed a full strip. It contributes soooo much to the plot.
- This isn't even a plot point.
- It's just something that's supposed to be funny.
- And watch, Shive will pretty much remove it once he realizes he needs Susan to do something.
- So...laugh at the cat guys, and remember that while this was going on...
- Well, I was going to say something interesting could be happening, but that would imply that anything has been interesting so far. The first "interesting" arc is the one after this, believe it or not.
- So yeah, while he drew this strip, he could have been drawing another strip that would have made this plot that less painful to get through.
- Why did Ellen and Elliot switch positions in the last panel?
- Also, what does it say about his facial differentiation when two characters look exactly alike, but are completely different looking due to hair?
- It's like friggin shojo.
- And you know what's even worse?
- Shive doesn't see the problem.
- No, seriously, he thinks his facial differentiating skills are fine and dandy.
- Seriously, read the summary.
- Wanna know what's really pathetic?
- Shive has gotten worse at pop culture references as time goes on.
- Although, as a casual fan of star wars, I must ask, what is the whole George Lucas punchline?
- That...his characters are boring and restrained?
- What does that say about you, Shive? You wrote the bastard.
- What happened to Ellen-lets-go-skinny-dipping? Seems like she's still a stick in the mud, to me.
- I suppose that's because her entire personality got retconned. And yet, the charts still apparently apply?
- Behold! Nanase! Charlie Brown if he was a metrosexual shonen animé character!
- So...according to Tedd, Nanase still looks like Nanase. Yet according to Elliot, he doesn't? Or is Elliot just still attracted to Fem-nanase, and is thus attracted to male-nanase?
- And —le gasp— Why is Ellen not attracted to male Nanase?
- BECAUSE SHE AND NANASE NEED TO BE LESBIANS TOGETHER DAMMIT.
- I WISH I WAS JUST JOKING.
Sketchbook Strip 111505
You know, I don't actually mind this joke too much, although the secretary makes my eye twitch uncomfortably.
- I think animé has desensitized me to the spikey-ness of Nanase's hair.
- Or maybe Hedge desensitized me.
- And Grace's antenna.
- And Vlad.
- And Damien.
- And young Elliot.
- Also...are those elevator doors in Tedd's house?
- Enough with the cat joke already. Stupid padding.
- You know, considering how Nanase can apparently bench 200 pounds, I don't think she should have ever had any problems picking Justin up.
- Unless...200 pounds is a lot less than I think it is.
- I only weigh 105-110, so...I dunno.
- But I'm going to assume Justin is at least forty to twenty pounds less than 200.
- Height is nothing, especially when you're picking them up bridal style.
- Also, this appears to be simplifying attraction a tad.
- I mean, you have physical attraction, but you're not going to get all blushy starry eyed every time.
- Also, if this did happen, it would just be fucking awkward.
- I mean...Reaaaaally fucking awkward.
- And yeah, it's NEVER BROUGHT UP AGAIN.
- We've entered a time reversal, where instead of the first panel having a background, and nothing else afterwards, the last panel has a background, and none of the ones before it do!
- Sarah is excited to transform.
- Sarah is not excited to transform.
- Sarah, make up your mind.
- Ok, maybe she's getting cold feet, but this is wayyy too sudden. You need to build these things up, dammit.
- Oh look, the duck returns. And guess what, he actually plays a plot point here.
- Just wait for it.
- It'll be hilarious.
- Third and Fifth panel Sarah is the exact same expression, only flipped. Way to work those emotional chops, Shive.
- Oh Sarah, your goals are so...quaint.
- I wanna be a good boyfriend D:
- ...cause that's the first thing you do when changing genitals. Try to fit into the stereotypical role of one.
- And by stereotypical, I MEAN stereotypical.
- Also, gotta love how Shive put all this thought into how Sarah could have her unique little opinion...
- And then made everyone else react in a completely identical way to each other.
- Because nobody is like "Well, I was worried, but I did it anyway." or something like that.
- This is about Sarah, so only she shall get the unique characterization!
- Agh, tiny cramped people.
- Why is everyone just standing around idly, anyway?
- Did Tedd not put snacks out?
- Why is no one lounging on a couch, or leaning against a wall?
- WHY ARE THEY ALL STANDING LIKE SOLDIERS?
- Apparently Shive removed all the cat-like abilities from the ray because that would make it overpowered.
- Making this interaction completely nonsensical.
- Also, it's Grace that's transforming Sarah, not Tedd.
- But Tedd is a giant douche. Does he ever even apologize for doing that?
- I bet he does not.
- I can't even bring myself to criticize this strip.
- I'm just so boredddddd-uh.
- Nothing new is happening, no shocking revelations or explorations of characters...
- Just fluff.
- Fluffity fluff fluff.
- Dear lord I feel sorry for those who had to sit through this one day at a time.
- I think I need a break. This EGS blah-ness has fried my brain.