Greetings. I am AHR.
I read a little webcomic series called Shel Oonish Give.
And to be honest, it's not that bad of a series.
But it has the oddest swerves in a story I have ever seen, which baffles me to this day.
So, at the request of one troper (yes, shockingly high number I know), I decided to make a live blog.
I would be starting with the early stuff (which is clearly much more sucky than the present strips) and would try to go through ten or more at a time until the plot shows up.
Wheee! I'll get started with the first couple, and heres hoping some people will be interested in reading.
Sketchbook Strip 070405
But first, FAN~SERVICE!
- So, first we can see that the art is pretty good. Refined. No backgrounds, though. It's kinda weird.
- Not to mention it looks like the back of the chairs seem to be floating...
- The background in the other panels are cool though. Although, really, what forest is 100% leaves?
- The proportions of the Agent's face is weird too. Big eyes, side mouth. However, I'm sure the eyes will get smaller over time.
- I never watched CSI, but I am sure the joke is hilarious.
- Now, here it is established aliens exist, although, I don't know why she looks so much like a human, minus the tail and face...
- So, all in all, we have an interesting start to this promising series. The joke is kind of stupid, since it's kinda...racist, but hey! First strips get leeway, right?
- Heheh. Wanna know something funny?
- The gradient is the same in every panel!
- Look! It's a fuzzy circle!
- Also, why is the alien using her eyes as if she has eyebrows?
- So, here we get exposition!
- Yeah, I know, it's only the second strip, but bear with me, guys. Read it.
- So, basically, we're dealing with an immortal, and a potent magical source. Heavy stuff, right?
- You know what I JUST noticed?
- These characters have no forehead!
- Isn't that SHOCKING?
- Yeah, this is another bad joke. Not as bad as the alien joke, since it isn't a shoehorned punchline.
- And it IS only the third strip!
- Although, this strip is sort of a let down, since it's just more exposition, promptly telling us, LOLNOPE. We don't get no crazy ass immortal.
- This is where the author (what's his name? Give? I think it's Give) kinda drops the ball. This is dragging way too long. Action first, exposition later. It's fairly simple too, to boot.
- Despite the similar faces, it is nice that they all have different noses.
- The character differentiation is subtle, but it will probably get better as time goes on, and soon these main characters will be even more distinct.
- The exposition is now really hard to get through, but luckily for us, this is the last one
- And we get some interesting hint at the boss guy's past! I can't wait for it to get followed up on! I mean, this was written in 2007, which was 4 years ago, so it HAS to have been followed up on somewhat!
Sketchbook Strip 042807
Oh look, it's that girl from the other sketchbook strip. Huh. Wonder who she is. Seems a bit like a nympho.
- OK, the building is a bit simplistic, but shit yeah. Look at that atmosphere.
- The designs are sooo cool.
- And promising. I mean, can you imagine watching these demons fight?
- Oh look, a subtle joke! See! Give is getting better! I'm sure his jokes can only improve from here!
- And FUCK yeah, it's not a complete curse, but Magus is coming off as bad ass. Sure, he's not saying "bullshit" but I think it works better this way!
- This Elliot guy was mentioned before. No idea who him and Ellen are. I think they're twins, judging by their same lettered naming.
- Also, it really sucks that this cool immortal person won't help Magus go back to normal form, since I like the cut of their jib, but eh. I am sure Magus will give us plenty of dark moments to make up for it.
- Not gonna lie, a bit of a let down. Creepy girl doesn't carry the same oomph as shadowy figure.
- But, at least now the plot is moving! No more exposition, lets see what Magus cooks up!
This is why I fucking hate EGS. This is why I grit my teeth, I pace back and forth, I devote entire frikking liveblogs to it.
Because of this. Shive has potential. Oh yes, he does. He can design the villains. He can make the dynamics. He can make the atmosphere. He can do it. He can fucking do it. He can write a fucking good story with fucking good villains and fucking good characterization.
AND HE FUCKING PAYS ATTENTION TO THE FUCKING BLAND RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS OF FUCKING LESBIANS.
FUCK. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.
WHY SHIVE. WHY DO YOU CAUSE ME SUCH PAIN? WHY DO YOU STICK WITH THIS SERIES EVEN THOUGH YOU COULD WRITE SOMETHING SO MUCH BETTER? WHY DO YOU INSIST ON THIS? WHY DO YOU TREAT VILLAINS LIKE MAGUS AND CHAOS LIKE TOTAL SHIT, GIVING THEM BARELY NO SCREEN TIME AT ALL, AND INSTEAD FOCUSING ON UTTERLY TRIVIAL AND INANE DETAILS FOR OBSCENELY LONG PERIODS OF TIME?
WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY???????????