about live blogs
add a live blog
The Great Nitpicky Live Blog of El Goonish Shive
Strips 511-520 (Super Kinky Bondage Arc)
- Circle backgrounds, facedialogueface, puny little mouths, this is just a bad habits bonanza!
- Why was Grace born to be super-ultra-mega-special in a way that makes no logical sense due to Shive's own poor plot handling? I MUST KNOW!
- Let me get this straight, the perfect shadetail form is the one we saw in evil Tedd's world, right? So, for all intents and purposes, Grace is inferior because she is a girl.
- Why was there a prophecy? Because!
- Why did everyone believe it? Because!
- Why did a bunch of scientists decide it was worth cashing in on? Because!
- OK, the backstory isn't SO bad, but it's just out of nowhere. It fits nothing we know with the universe, and really has no connection with anything that has or will come out of EGS. It's a shoddily done backstory for the sake of a backstory. And while Damien's ego could have been an interesting point, it's really barely touched upon.
- Why did he turn into his v-5d self, and not, say, his normal form?
- While the joke is amusing on its own, I do wonder why his hands being tied were such a big deal. I just spent the last couple of entries complaining how his hands were barely tied, and now he suddenly has them tied separately?
- You know, all the other female capturements were played for all the drama they were worth.
- They were also all helpless like and unable to escape.
- Well, minus one coming up, but I'll address that later.
- Main point is, the way Elliot's capturing is handled is way different than everyone elses. Whether that's sexist towards men or women is up for you to decide.
- Either way, the way I see it, is that Elliot being captured seemed more like a novelty than anything.
- Hey look, more text I never bothered to read during my first read through.
- Naturally strong human? How so? Physically? Mentally? Emotionally? Health-wise? My dad didn't get a cavity till he was in his forties, and his entire family pretty much never had any sort of heart problem before. Does that make him strong?
- You know, we never get a chimera term for a lespuko. Hell, I still don't even know what a lespuko is.
- Dear god man, it's like Dragon Ball Z suddenly.
- Also, good to know that Grace is so much better and more awesome than her brothers because of genetics. Really shows how hard she had to work for her abilities.
- Go ahead. TELL ME Grace is not a Mary Sue. Tell me. I want to believe you. I don't want to give Shive one of the worst titles of all time, (especially since it is thrown around so lightly nowadays) but I honestly have no other choice. She is a mary sue. Grace is a mary sue. Shive, you suck at writing characters. It is not your greatest strength. I don't know why people think it is.
- Don't believe me about Grace? Everyone loves her. Those that don't, hate her. But no matter who they are, they need to know about Grace. She is never seen doing anything bad or stupid, only doing cute things. Oh, yeah, and she's a shallow love interest for Tedd. She is the most powerful too, and can do things at ease that everyone else has so much trouble with.
- You know, just because he used Grace's DNA, does not mean the new Grace would be like the old Grace. He should have known that. Or at the very least, had issues with it. Nope! Grace is Grace is Grace. And this plot point is NEVER brought up again after this love arc of exposition. Yeah.
- Now, once again, I can accept that the male-shadetail thing was probably just a coincidence, but WHY?
It just seems a leetle unfortunate to present some all-powerful character as better because of one difference that we can see —they are male.
- I mean, it doesn't make any sense for no one to notice that the donor suddenly changed genders. Or why the donor matches up with the end result perfectly, for that matter. How does that work? Why doesn't Grace have Uryuom-esque eyes, or something like that?
- Why does she become a carbon copy of only one of the donors, and the same with the other dude, minus the hair antennae?
- I hate the logic of this world. It's always done so you can just see the plot seeping through the corners, desperately trying to justify itself.
Sketchbook Strip 031404
I see both. That means I have more depth, more development and more flexibility than either of you. Oh yeah.
- They just assumed there was mix-up. They never tried to make a fifth assassin, oh no, that would just be silly.
- There is an uryuom capable of asexual reproduction, solely for the sake of the plot.
- Of course, that implies that Grace can get pregnant...without ever getting fertilized.
- You know, females already make eggs / have all the eggs they could ever need.
- So...really...this is weird...just weird.
- I think about it and my brain hurts.
- Technically, Mr. Guyur was your parental unit. It has no gender.
- Speaking of which, would a non-female Grace be able to do the same thing?
- More importantly, if Mr. Verres knew about Dreads here, why didn't he know that he had gotten captured?
- Watch as Grace get angry as she realizes the uryuom that we were introduced to for about seconds in the last arc was murdered in cold blood and was her father.
- He is never mentioned again.
- More to the point though, Grace goes from half-lidded rest-in-peace-dude to full blown rage because she finds out they are blood related?
- I dunno, that's kinda...
- We're sorry, we're going to have to put Grace's rage on hold as Shive gets stuff he forgot to get done, done!
- Ellen looks weird in the first couple of panels due to her squinting. She doesn't even look like Ellen anymore.
- Only now, when they could be attacked at any moment, in the lair of the evil people, do they discuss strategy. Don't you just LOVE teenagers?
- Elliot. Enough energy to run. Not enough to fight. What.
- I mean, don't get me wrong, it's easier to run than fight, but with all that energy, you think one of those Gecko moves he had would help him out...or something...
- See, this is where at least halting the gerbil momentarily is a good idea.
- Or instead of trusting your random instinct, staying captured until an actual OPPORTUNITY arises. I mean, HELLO.
- He ends up in the same place he did last time. What was the POINT of that?
- I guess to get rid of a contrived coincidence of Nanase and Ellen finding him?
- Of course, considering how the place is so small that Elliot was able to run by them, but apparently have no one else notice Nanase or Ellen, I don't think that should be Shive's top priority...
Don't forget to look for the next update! FIGHTING HAPPENS! NO! SERIOUSLY! I AM DEAD FUCKING SERIOUS! THERE IS FIGHTING!
How did they collect the blood if she did in a car accident? And enough to power a human being?
23rd Jan 11
9th Feb 11
9th Feb 11
9th Feb 11
10th Feb 11
Perhaps he got the blood from her not long after she died, as Kirai suggested? And, personally, I love reading textbooks... So perhaps, just perhaps, not everyone shares your opinions? Maybe? The same reasons why you hate Dan Shive are why I love him... In most cases...
7th Jul 11