I have an Economics Project I need to do. Clearly, the only logical way to react to this is by reviewing ten more EGS strips.
- Well, other than the obnoxiously green gradient background, this isn't too bad. It seems to capture the mood right, for once.
- Although those huge eyes are still kinda creepy.
- But creepy.
- You know, that's a really thin jacket. Considering how it was supposedly cold enough to need a blanket, don't you think they need a bit more protection from the elements than this?
- And we see more weird detailed eyes in the last panel. To show anger, I suppose. Because that's what you think, when you see a fully detailed eye, anger.
- So, what happened in this strip?
- Absolutely nothing. Really, I guess Shive just couldn't figure a way to establish Ellen and Nanase looking again, and decided to go with a joke.
- So, you're telling me they did that whole stealth mission, and didn't even bother to mark their trail?
- Well, at least it's in character for all of them to be this stupid and bad at planning.
Sketchbook Strip 021004
Shive, it is very easy to draw an attractive person. Just make them symmetrical. I mean, you only have, like, one face.
So, you drew her with the intention to be attractive, as opposed to every other character you have drawn so far? Cause the only difference is that she's dressed in a fetish bait costume.
So, at least Shive doesn't find the hammers funny anymore, which is good. Unfortunately, I feel as if he finds it unfunny for all the wrong reasons. Ah well. Better than nothing...
I think what annoys me the most is that he never actually draws this for the comic series. This either means he chickened out, or was lazy.
Either way, it's some wasted potential.
- I mean, come on. Look what Damien ended up putting Grace in. A chair with her hands chained to it. Seems kinda boring compared to the sketchbook. I mean, I guess if he had followed through I would have complained about the implausibility due to the amount of tech he would need for it, but at least it would have made her appear actually helpless.
- To start off, I will be fair to Shive:
- Grace and Elliot are very two different people with very different situations and different relationships with Damien.
- Now that I've gotten THAT out of the way I can do the straw feminist rant! Wheee!
- Lets put up our list of hostages of EGS members throughout the ten years or so Shive has been doing this.
- So yeah, your attempt at making Elliot captured was a nice effort, but it doesn't make you suddenly gender-equal. Especially what happens in the later strips.
- Back on this strip, I find that Damien really doesn't come off as all that threatening. Mostly because we never see him do anything to anyone, except, well, hit them.
- And the silhouette thing makes for a bad time to threaten.
- More to the point, Grace seems pretty surprised to see her 'dad', even though she never exactly angsted over him before.
- Also, "Grace gets Scolded" is an...off title. I don't know what it is, but it really does seem like either the name of a lemon fanfic or some sort of weird ecchi joke...
Sketchbook Strip 021304
- I am trying to imitate Grace's puny side mouth. It's fun.
- Also, is it just me, or does Mr. Dreads here have no expression of happiness or any sort of joy in the flashback panels. He's -__- the entire time...
- El Goonish Shive. Where people can be captured and nobody notices.
- Seriously though, Grace never once mentioned this to Mr. Verres? I mean, you'd think she would at least want to find out what happened to the guy that gave her love and care when she was younger...
- So, how did Damien find this guy? You'd think Hedge and co wouldn't be too keen on telling him, and the gov't prolly confiscated all the paper work...
- For the last strip and this one, the circle backgrounds are back. I do not know why this fascinates me so.
- Oh hey look, he gets non half-lidded in the last panel! He does have emotion!
- Drinking blood? Too dark.
- Assassins being deadly weapons? Too dark.
- Grace's brothers being evil? Too dark.
- Damien doing anything other than backhanding his minions? Too dark.
- Threatened rape? A-OK!
- Hey, Dreads, I was watching that! I don't wanna here your backstory! I wanna see Grace get tortured D:<
- Also, I don't see why it's such a big deal if Grace finds out some things. She's a mutant. With morphing abilities. Sure, she didn't know the details but it's nothing that special. Unless you count the whole Damien thing, in which case I think it would be pretty important for her to know why Damien is trying to breed with her and all that jazz.
Sketchbook Strip 021804
IT'S NOT BEER I SWEAR IT'S NOT!
Shive, we get it. You don't want to drink. Neither do I. This isn't funny, this is you being all...compensatey self-righteous about it. Like, treating the non drinking thing like it's a big deal or something...
And if anyone really cared that much about you, so as to worry if you drew a fictional version of yourself drinking, I wouldn't hang around that person much...
- Technically speaking, she also knows Vlad now too. Just saying.
- Of course, this wouldn't have to happen if you marked your trail...
- And, luckily, no one sees a glittering glowing fairy.
Worst. Backstory. Ever.
It's a total mood killer. Grace isn't worried anymore, Dreads is back to his normal expressionless face, and Grace's entire trauma and horrific backstory, is due to Star Trek
Way to go Shive. Way to go.
- Science. It works like that, bitches.
- Also, girl puberty doesn't really work like that. Yes, they grow, but girls hit puberty a lot younger than guys do. Once they get their periods, they are pretty much done growing. I mean, there is still growing, mind you, but 16 to 18 is not an area where a lot of said growing would take place.
- Vlad. The retarded brother. Look at those eyes.
- ...so...chimera eh? I take it that is a Woolseyism and not a direct translation. Not that I'm complaining. Easier to remember than those weird names.
- And this is why Shive did not start the Painted Black arc right away, and instead had the uryuom thingies. Because he finally figured out a plot point, but knew that it would be a total Ass Pull to try and get everyone to accept aliens this late into the game.
- So he had to go back, retcon all the weapons (which wasn't too hard) and somehow force Tedd to get the gun and dance around the issue of why they only needed it now.
- All for this little tiny explanation.
- This is why you plan ahead. Far ahead. Like, three plot arcs ahead.
- Although, knowing Shive, he WAS planning that far, if not farther. Note, the uryoums have not been relevant since this, and the one other encounter with them could have easily been substituted with a human or something to that extent.
- So, basically, Shive either created this plot device and then discarded it, never to need it again, or even more terrifyingly, he just is not far enough in his plot to reach the point where they come back.
- Think about it, it has been six years since these strips and still not a word from the uryoum things.
- So...what happened to that cuddling thing from before?
- Good thing none of the other guys keep watch to make sure a couple of idiot teens on a dare don't stumble into them by accident, eh?
- So...is this glitter like...permanent? Because that would mean that someone could notice it and track them down before they actually made it to the lair place thing.
- Or have found nanase's fairy doll before Nanase found her own body, and then proceeded to find them.
- Of course, that wouldn't make much sense.
- Granted, there are only three minions, but you would think now that they know there are intruders that they would be on high alert.
- Then again, I'm guessing Damien wants them to refind the lair. Because letting people in with access to uryoum technology is a great idea!
- Now the mood whiplash joke at the end was obviously intentional, and I'll let it slide for that, but not for the fact that it is almost completely out of character for Nanase.
- I mean, Grace could be being
raped tortured as they speak, and they're all happy cheery about it. WHY.
- You'd think they would be a bit too on edge to joke.
- But no, that would accurately represent human psychology now wouldn't it?
Next entry, I get to wrap up my Elliot-as-a-hostage rant! Yay!