- AAAAAAAA DOTS WHY ARE THERE DOTS DOTSSSSS
- Also, there seems to be more shading than normal. Awww, lookit Shive trying to improve. It's so cute.
- What? TEDD is the reasonable one? TEDD?
- Pity no one listens to him because that would be totally not cool.
- That's right, Grace, exchange yourself for Elliot. THAT'S the selfless thing to do. Give the villain a chance to take over the world and do what ever he wants, so one guy can live. Totally selfless.
- I'm not saying Grace shouldn't be worried about this, but it's sickening to see this treated as a completely selfless and wonderful choice that Grace is a kind and loving person to choose.
- There is no opposition, it's just all 'nuuuu Grace we wuv u to much!'
- 'nuuuu Grace we wuv u too much!'
- Sorry, that was REALLY bugging me.
- Now, lets address the meat of the problem.
- The so called Precision F-Strike. "Yes I do, dammit!"
- Say it aloud. I want you to say it aloud.
- Record yourself saying it, and listen to yourself say it.
- Doesn't sound very dramatic does it? She's a regular Holden Caufield.
- Actually, someone needs to do a reading of this dialogue, and lets see how much of it just sounds bad.
- Now, while 'yes I do dammit' isn't that bad of a phrase, it doesn't really work for a person on the edge of tears. It sounds way more self-righteous if anything.
- I guess I SHOULD give Shive props for not explaining the significance of the cursing, but the title kind of ruins that.
- All in all, I get where Shive was going with this, but I think he did it at the wrong time, the wrong word and the wrong format. He KNEW he wanted to do this, I think, but he didn't know HOW to do this, and that is where he failed.
- Ugh. At least the dots are more subtle here...
- Damien, super ultra mega powerful. This means that there is no way for a group of teenagers to go. THIS MEANS YOU SHOULD CALL IN THE ADULTS WHO HAVE FARKING GATLING GUNS AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE.
- You know, at least in most urban fantasy series, characters don't have direct contact with the gov't. This is why.
- And wow, can you just FEEL the mood swing in between the first three and the last three panels?
- Shive, if you don't want to do emo stuff, don't devote an entire ARC to it! Yeesh.
- Like, if you don't want to do romance, don't include romantic plot strings. If you don't want to do angst, don't include places where angst would be appropriate. It is NOT that hard!
Sketchbook Strip 120703
Don't you love how well developed of a character Ellen is? You can just SEE how deep of a character she is, and how 3-dimensional her motives and tastes are. Truly a character one should admire.
You know, this really tempts me to invoke a logical fallacy but...how the fuck can people like Ellen?
I mean, if you like her cause she's hot than fine, at least you're HONEST with yourself. But for those that like her as a character I just...
YOU DON'T LIKE A CHARACTER. YOU LIKE A PIECE OF OBJECTIFIED MEAT.
- Fire smoke. Odd way to do it. Not bad, but not really good either. He looks like Pig-Pen from Peanuts.
- I've never seen this movie. I have no idea what he's talking about. As a result, this joke is more confusing than anything, and just flat out sucks.
- Once again, this strip has a very clear intention by Shive (Elliot saying the Guinea Pig's name) but clearly had no idea how to get there, and ended up making this hackneyed strip.
- CLAWS. YOU HAVE CLAWS. YOU HAVE FUCKING CLAWS.
- AND WHY ESCAPE WHEN THE EVIL GUY IS RIGHT THERE? WHY NOT WAIT UNTIL HE LEAVES?
- WHY DID YOU YELL THAT? WHY NOT JUST THINK IT REALLY LOUDLY OR WHISPER IT? IT WASN'T EVEN A JOKE THIS TIME WAS IT? THAT WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED COMPLETELY FARKING STRAIGHT!
- WHY OH WHY DOES NO ONE IN THIS COMIC HAVE AN OUNCE OF COMMON SENSE?
- ...Wow. He's a scary bastard?
- I COULD KILL YOU AT ANY SECOND now kindly tell me your name.
- Why should he care what his name is? WHY? I mean, imagine Jack Bauer from 24 doing that. Does it make sense? NO.
- You ask someone's name to TAUNT them, or try and mess with them, it is NOT part of a standard interrogation!
- AND SHOULDN'T HEDGE KNOW THE NAME OF THE GUY HE WAS FOLLOWING? SHOULDN'T HE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE OUT IT WAS ELLIOT? WHY SHOULD THEY CARE ABOUT HIS 'REAL' NAME?
- AND WHY ARE YOU THINKING OUT LOUD ELLIOT? WHY?
- Also, no. Scientists would have given you a number. Or use your species name, Felis catus or something. At least make it a good joke, not a crappy one. The joke isn't about scientists. It's about people other than cartoonists. By using a number or the species/genus name, it shifts the focus back to the scientist, and doesn't come off as glorification of writers and their creativity.
Sketchbook Strip 121203
Yeah, that's what I want to read. Something not even the author wants to write.
I don't know why you want to write comedy, you kinda suck at it, Shive.
Like, a lot a lot.
Your talent, it appears, is writing ecchi comedy, which is a bit different.
Sketchbook Strip 121403
Oh Shive. Your lack of subtlety is hilarious.
Also, it's not that hard to switch between light and airy and dark. Manga does it all the time. You know, that type of comic book that you're a total weeaboo for?
See, here's the problem. You're pretty much also ruining the drama. Damien isn't all powerful! He's just a small time!
Vlad isn't a vampire thing! He's just an emo wanker!
Yeah, real scary, right?
- Someone, anyone, EXPLAIN THESE TINY WHITE DOTS TO ME!
- —yawn— This is just getting way too drawn out.
- Why do I get the feeling 'crap' was supposed to be a double-layered joke?
- Also, the timmy joke isn't that bad. Mostly because of how angry the guinea pig reacted. It makes it amusing, even if you don't get the reference.
- Although, it still makes no sense when you consider the logistics of it...
- Also, coffee? Why not just give him adrenaline shots? WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THIS COFFEE? IS HEDGE JUST FORCED TO BUY IT AT THE STORE?
Sketchbook Strip 121803
Fuck you Shive. Fuck you.
I'd say more, but the entirety of this rant needs to be saved for the NEXT sketchbook entry.
- STAY OUT OF THIS TEDD! YOU HAVE TO HAVE A VAGINA TO BE ALLOWED TO ARGUE.
- YOUR LOGIC MEANS NOTHING TO US! NOTHING! WE ARE A BUNCH OF SIXTEEN YEAR OLDS AND WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING DAMMIT!
- What was that about there being more to Justin than being gay?
- Yeah. That's what I thought.
- Tedd, NEVER MAKE THAT FACE AGAIN.
- OMFG HE HIT YOU? THIS MEANS WAR! THIS MEANS I AM TOTALLY GOING TO DROP ALL MY LOGIC AND LET YOU GO INTO THE SAME PLACE HE IS! BECAUSE THAT MAKES TOTAL SENSE!
- You know, Susan is in the same room as you. Don't you think she'd be pretty pissed?
- No, wait, scratch that. Susan does the exact same thing that Damien does. You should be calling out that psychotic bitch!
- Also, Grace kinda proves my point. "The worst that he would do is hit me!"
- Grace, you're lucky this comic strip was not made by a BDSM fetishist, that is all I'm saying.
- "Only when I was bad"
- Ugh, wow. See, this would have worked a lot better if she had shown any type of trauma (no, the dreams don't count) up to this point. A desire to behave well? A desire to not get in trouble? ANYTHING LIKE THAT?
- Oh no, that would just be too realistic now wouldn't it?
- Instead, EVERYONE FEEL SORRY FOR GRACE.
Sketchbook Strip 122303
Shive, when you genderswapped the guy into a girl, you made hisher shirt go from normal to barely covering anything. What does your straw fan get? A fully covering outfit.
Also, you realize that you've now revealed that the entire GENIUS behind your joke is "HE'S A DIFFERENT GENDER ISN'T THAT HILARIOUS?"
Also, this comes across as rather egotistical. Mostly because the unfortunate implications were really damn obvious. And the joke wasn't even funny!
And because this comic wouldn't be good without a hot chick, lets add the scantily clad girl from the last strip!
You know, if this is what feminist and gay-friendly and progressive comics are like, I'd shudder to see what normal comics are like.