The Great Nitpicky Live Blog of El Goonish Shive
Gilphon: 'Taking it the wrong way' is probably a poor choice of words from Shive. I've always assumed it was due to the gay pestering, and Susan having a similar attitude to Justin is probably a minor case of Continuity Drift.
AHR: Yeah, yeah it was. But considering how she had said before that she would not be surprised if she walked in on the two of them kissing, and has shown a general lack of shame in insulting Nanase or making fun of her, I could see her still doing it even pre-continuity drift. So, even if I didn't have the comic strip, I prolly would have just gone with that.
- I really can not help but feel general creepiness with these strips. They come off as so unrealistic. So... fake.
- This was the same character that was so uncomfortable with being a woman that her sanity snapped and she was convinced that she was an evil twin.
- THANK YOU RULE 34 DATABASE! YAY!
- TEDD IS A PERVERT!
- EL GOONISH SHIVE PORN!◊
- First panel Justin is a short an fat midget.
- Why would they stand there for five minutes? Did it take five minutes to say those four lines?
- That garage is far to large for any house ever.
- Look at the gradient behind Justin, and compare it to the actual surroundings. It looks weird.
- The third panel is much more amusing than the last panel. Is there even a joke to the last panel? What? That she fell asleep? Why would she fall asleep on the tv?
- Dan, you spent ALL THAT TIME working on a picture of an angel in the first panel, so WHY COULD YOU NOT PUT ANY EFFORT INTO MAKING BACKGROUNDS?!
- Lovebirds? Why? Are Nanase and Ellen gonna get into a relationship or something?
- I don't know Justin. PERHAPS IT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT ANYTHING BESIDES THE FACT THAT YOU ARE GAY.
- Of course Susan would like Justin. Because they've had such great chemistry already. Retardedness.
- No backgrounds. One gradient. Awesome.
- You've been in Susan's boat, Dan? Oh God, I can not tell you how much it would delight me to know that Dan Shive found a carbon copy of Grace, only for her to turn out to be gay. That would make me squeal with glee.
- She kinda looks like Charly, AHR. Just putting that out there. Savor it.
- Also, as it turns out, that pic from 262 isn't just a short fat Justin. Justin is just short and fat proportionally. What's up with that?
- SUPER KAWAII NYA DESU
- I hope the way Ellen was going to finish that sentence was "...because I have leukemia, and the chemo wares me out." I hate everyone in this comic.
- And I hate that Ellen-cat mess.
- I liek AHR though. Here's a picture of us.◊
- Why would she want to do that? Because of Justin? We couldn't just have one decent female character, Dan?! You're going to riddle her with insecurities in an attempt to make her appear "deep"?
- Who knows. Maybe I'm overreacting, and the reason makes sense. Let's see.
- BEHOLD! WHAT IT TRULY MEANS TO BE A WOMAN! TITS!
- GIGANTIC TITS! THEY MAKE PEOPLE BEAUTIFUL!
- I would find the Justin part funny if it were in any other comic, and if the character were less prominently gay.
- Speaking of which, while Shive is so eager to have a gay character, I don't suppose he ever actually, you know, shows Justin in a relationship, does he? Or is that too "yucky" for him?
- Also, I kinda like Susan's reaction shot. So all in all, in the grand scheme, this isn't a bad strip.
- Jeeze, you can't do that with hair! She's be yanking on it.
- And wait... Does Ellen's beam actually CHANGE the sexuality of the person? That's... Fucked up.
- How the fuck does Ellen know so much about this?
- And what redeeming qualities does Tedd have besides his parents being divorced?
- And wouldn't Susan have realized that she still didn't detest the thought of men?
- HATE COMIC CAKMAN HATE WEBCOMIC
- Does anyone really honestly believe that blonds are stupid?
- With that said, once again, Susan's flat reaction is nice. It's not over the top, and I can deal with it. Woot.
- Then again, though, why WOULD her hair go back to blond? Wouldn't the body just suck it back in, or however it pushed it out in the first place backwards?
- Hmm. Shive used "blonde" here, but my microsoft word spellcheck is telling me that it isn't a word, and that it is spelled "blond". What's going on here? It also says that "spellcheck" isn't a word either.
- Nanase has a dirty ass.
- LOLOLOL CATHOLIC SCHOOLGIRL
- Has Ellen's sexuality even been confirmed? I don't get it.
- Here's another old cliche. FUCKING FAIRLY ODD PARENTS USED THE "ANCHOVIES ARE YUCKY" BIT.
- What comes next? Decoding an Ovaltine code? IT IS SO FRIGGIN TIRING.
- Then again, maybe it's me. I don't think that El Goonish Shive was ever meant to be read in sets of 20 at a time. This is just torturous.
- And that headset is more inconvienient than anything. I could understand it in a car, but it's much easer to just pick up a phone and put it to your ear.
- Once again, Is there ANYONE who is on the edge of their seat, melodramatically snapping their fingers and saying "DRAT! SHE WAS ALMOST ABOUT TO TELL US, TOO!" at the whole Ellen thing?
- The "carry on" line isn't bad, but Justin's follow-up is unnecessary, and just pointless.
- Wait, what? We didn't see the couch in the before pose. Did it, like, double in length? Is that it?
- If it is, that is sort of a joke. Sort of. But it is also pointless.
- And Justin's line serves to explain the non-joke.
- OMG THERE'S ONLY ONE BUTTON! WHAT DO YOU THINK HAPPENS IF YOU PUSH IT AGAIN?! It resets, you asshole.
- Those two are assholes. Why would they sit on a counter top when they know Nanase doesn't want them to?
- Speaking of which, these two◊ are assholes. They know that they don't like the webcomic. Why do they keep reading it?
- And that was a shitty explanation. Why were we put in non-suspense?
- ...What the fuck?
- SHIVE, WHY THE FUCK DO I UNDERSTAND YOUR CREATIONS MORE THAN YOU DO?! TO ELLEN, SHE IS ELLIOT. SHE HAS HIS MEMORIES. SHE DID NOT INHERIT THEM. SHE REMEMBERS GOING OUT WITH NANASE. GOD! IS FUCKING CONSISTENCY TOO MUCH TO ASK FROM HORSE SHIT!?
- Only two more. Jesus Christ, get this fucking over with.
- I bet Shive studied at the National Academy of Agricultural Research Management.
- Holy Shit, I see why people read this liveblog. Where else are you going to see such insightfull and razor-sharp wit like the previous sentence?
- Once again, (That seems to be my catch phrase for this liveblog) why not just say that they're watching a movie from the Shanghai series? Then it would be satire rather than nonsense.
- Joy to the world. The Lord has come. Until fucking tomorrow.
- And yet, I have nothing to add here, because AHR put it beautifully.
- Except for the fact that I despise
chi-super-deformed El Goonish Shive even more than regular El Goonish Shive.
Goggle Fox: IS FUCKING CONSISTENCY TOO MUCH TO ASK FROM HORSE SHIT!? The horse has regularity problems.
AHR: óclicks egs pornó —snorts— And I think it enhances attraction to males. So it would only change sexuality if one was originally a straight male or a lesbian. Blonde is feminine. Blond is masculine. Ellen is bisexual, because the ray added an attraction to males to Elliot's heterosexualness.
Cakman: Ohhhhhh. Yeah. There's a lot of these edits then.
e X: That isn't porn. That is EGS, if Shive would be honest with himself.
Noxilicious: Daniel Shive is nothing if not classy.
Cakman: Well, to be fair, I think she's supposed to be coplaying as Risky Boots◊ from the Shantea series... But... You know what? You're absolutely right there is no need for that crap.
- 373...I don't think he was stereotyping anybody. It's just Nanase's mother in particular who seems to be a huge bitch.
See this thread. Asian parents have the stereotype of being...well...exactly what is shown. The stereotype is prominent enough that I can report on its accuracy. The problem is, not only is he doing it for no other reason then to inflict Nanase with pointless wangst, but he also does it horribly wrong.
I'm not disputing that there's a stereotype for it. I just assumed that Shive was just saying that Nanase's mom was a controlling bitch.
Characterization that makes no sense in these given strips, since she lets her off so easily.