Strips 284-290 (JUSTIN IS GAY AND THUS HAS GAY PROBLEMS RELATING TO HIS GAYNESS FOR HE IS GAY)
Sketchbook Strip 022303
You know, just a thought, he never changes his avatar again after this. That was rather pointless then.
Also, maybe it's my prolonged exposures to bishonen and biseinen type characters, but Shive looks guyish.
I mean, his eyebrows are thickened, low ponytail as opposed to one that goes up, he's no longer as big eyed, and his outfit is one that is not commonly worn by females, even Ellen's version was fundamentally different.
So...am I missing something?
Sketchbook Strip 022503
Bad move Shive. Bad move. We can't be shocked by the sad story if you say upfront there is one.
I also worry for you Shive. I worry for you a lot. This doesn't tell me "Oh wow, Lord Tedd is gonna be an awesome character full of complex and moral amibigious ideals!"
I think "You're...you're gonna start feeling sorry for him aren't you? You're gonna end up making him an anti-climax aren'tcha?"
It's not a normal reaction I would have, but it's one I have for Shive, and the way he tends to handle his characters (like Vlad.)
Sketchbook Strip 030203
Gilphon, AC. I love you guys, but if you honestly did not get they were meant to be together by this point, you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.
Well, OK, to be fair, both of you archived binged, right? So you missed the sketchbook. HOWEVER! For someone who WASN'T binging, and was reading it on the day to day basis he updated, it would indeed be blatantly obvious.
So, you guys are off the hook, but my analyzation stands firm!
Now, onto the REAL problem with this strip.
Shive, I know you lampshaded it. I know you are indeed aware of your fetishization of lesbians.
That. Does not. Make it. OK!
Calling a random lesbian make out session in your sketchbook a 'parody' does not justify it! It's hiding! It's like saying "yeah, I know I draw boobs a lot, but it's OK! Cause I'm aware of it!"
But it's not that simple. He's still drawing it, posting it for the world to see, and letting his name be associated with it. We all have our things. But you can't justify letting author appeals (especially sexual ones) into your story on the basis that it was lampshaded, or because you made a joke about it.
To quote Linkara:
"Leave your masturbation fantasies OUT of it!"
Also, on a more pathetic note, this reminds me of the time I wrote a scenario very similar to this. it's a long story
It bothers me because it reminds me that the only differance between Shive and myself is execution, with multiple plot points / character devices starting off very similarly. BUT, maybe I am reading too much into things and should just relax.
- Wheee. Justin character development time! Only not!
- Oh Shive, you, you and your author tractness. I understand how annoying these pricks can be, but much like Tony, you seriously lack any imagination when coming up with these insults.
- The "Ah, memories" title makes me worried. Namely because it might mean Shive overheard a similar conversation (or was part of one) at one point or another. This vaguely bothers me. I like to have more faith in the geeks of america.
- Justin is too BORING of a character! We need to make another main character appear!
- Seriously, we could not have had at least ONE little characterization nodule that did NOT have to do with being gay before we brought on the Nanase brigade?
- Considering the stereotypicalness of Nanase's parents, you'd think she would not be allowed to watch TV. Or at least, be told to go study 24/7. You think I'm exageratting, I just wish I was.
- Ewwww. Nanase is watch sports? Amongst GIRLS? LESBO!
- The text overlaying in the last panel and the one above it is a nice touch.
- I am going to find one of these comic stores. I want to know what it's like to be the only attractive one in a store! I'm SURE there are no female geeks EVER.
- What time period is this, honestly? The 1980s?
- Remember kids, scaring the shit out of a kid is OK if he has a different opinion than you!
- Fuck you Justin, and fuck your stupid soul. Oooh, the kid was being a rude brat. Grow up! More importantly, learn some fucking manners!
- The kid is in what? Middle School? Yeah, he's gonna be a whiny little douchebag! No need to sink to his level.
- And, of course, Justin never gets called out on this, because CLEARLY, there was nothing wrong with what he did.
- That'd be Melissa, and hoo boy does her character design scare me. Not sure why, but there is something about it that just screams "30 year old woman pretending to be 15"
- Note that, despite the fact she seems to be wearing a business suit thing (second female character to do so. Oh u.) it appears to be quite form fitting, AND yet somehow have sleeves that stick out.
- Also, what's with her entrance pose? Her legs seem off to me.
- Hey guys, lawl, did I mention Nanase is like, japanese, lawl?
- Sweater. It's form fitting. Blargle flargle.
- First of all, lets address the basic fact. Justin's first conflict, involves him being gay. What. A. Shocker.
- Second of all, NO ONE IS THIS OBSESSED. Most girls would probably go the route of assuming the guy they liked that dumped them because he claimed he was gay was a fucking douchebag that should go to hell.
- Third of all, she's not being that big of a bitch. She clearly has good intentions, albeit warped. No need to demonize her, Nanase/Shive.
- And finally, I bet you thought I was being hyperbolic, Cakman/non-readers of EGS, about Nanase being a whore. I wish I was.
- In the third panel, Nanase looks a LOT like Ellen.
- And once again, the sweater seems to be made of a material that clings to the shape of the body. The fact that the only difference between the sweater and the salesgirl outfit is the fact that the sleeves on the sweater are more diagonal, is disturbing.
- Author Tract time! Wheeee!
- Why couldn't have Justin done this himself with some random co-worker or other friend? Because Nanase. Obviously.
- Why is he even a main character? It's not like he ever does anything.
- You know, I hate to spoil, but Justin and Melissa were friends for a long time before that incident, if I'm not mistaken. She was apparently dead set on getting him all that time. So...it's just a CHALLENGE for her? Wha?
Tune in next time for Ellen, more powers given to Grace and more pointless filler that does not even have character development in it to make it interesting!