The Great Nitpicky Live Blog of El Goonish Shive
AC Drawings You have been to high school, right?
AHR: Yes. I don't recall ever seeing a girl wearing only a piece of cloth that just barely covers her chest, and nothing else. Keep in mind, Nanase's "shirt" ends just as her rib cage separates. I want you to put your hand there, until you reach your nipple, and go up a bit more. That is ALL she is wearing. It's almost the equivalent of wearing this◊ to school.
Gilphon: So, to continue with my tradition of nitpicking the nitpicks lso, I just realized something, ain't it kind of a dick move to send Nanase in just because she's a girl? I mean, I get she won't be losing any genitals or anything, but her breasts are gonna grow a couple sizes, her hair will grow ten fold...wouldn't that be REALLY annoying, ESPECIALLY since they don't know how permanent it is. No, scratch annoying, it's fricken horrifying. Sure you can cut your hair but do you really wanna spend the rest of your life looking like THIS?. Yes, it does have an adverse effect on women as well, however: I'm unsure if they know what the beam does to females yet and even if they do, That still wouldn't be as bad as permanently switching genders, unless I'm greatly underestimating the weight of those things.
AHR: Well, the first point I'll give you, but I doubt that sending someone in without knowing how it will affect her is that nice. As for the weight thing, breasts are fat. That's really all they are. They're not balloons of air, every ounce of that is human fat. There are also other health problems due to breast size as well. Normal breasts weight about a pound each, with double d's weighing about four pounds each. That does not seem like a lot, but carrying that around 24/7 can be strenous for those who are well endowed. Now keep in mind that Nanase is already easily around that ball park, and that she could have only gotten bigger from that point.
e X: Wait, who's General Shadetail again? Is he from the Lord Tedd dimension? Anyway, the name itself will never be not lame. It is just such a generic "cool name", that you should really never name any serious character after it. And this fight continues my suspicion that Dan Shive watches, or watched, too much anime. This fight feels like a scene from a bad magical girl anime. Some site characters appear, fight the monster a little bit without doing much damage, get slapped around, more side characters appears, same thing happens, main character appears, monster folds. It makes fight incredible bland and predictable when you know in advance, that none of the characters present will beat the monster, because only the power of the main character can do this. If you go with this, why even bother having the site character fight * a lot of shonen has this problem too, btw?
AHR: Yes. The Lord Tedd dimension. The alternate of Grace.
e X: Ah, okay thank you. Two things, though: First, he looks a lot like Son Goku◊ here. The way he stare at you, I mean. Second, that makes him look rather menacing. Honestly, this guy had no influence on the story up until now asides from this picture, and I still find him more interesting then the rest of the current main villain. He looks Bad Ass! * though I could be easily biased here, because he looks so much like Son Goku
AHR: Shive has a tendency of making his AU s more interesting than the main story. Especially the one that Ellen receives. Now THAT is a universe that I would not mind reading about.
Gilphon/holds up hands I'm perfectly willing to accept that breasts are quite heavy, and I'm sure that would be quite a bit of trouble, butů well, I have trouble seeing an extra few pounds of weight being added as being comparable to your entire life being uprooted.
AHR: Well, yes, the physical aspects would not uproot your life. The social aspects on the other hand, much likely to cause an uproar.
- I don't think the majority of the characters comprehend the gravity of the situation. There is a monstrous pile of goo attacking the students. Why are the people who are NOT activly fighting it still there?
- "This is Justin. He's here because gay. Did I mention he's gay? He's gay."
- Something is troubling me. Susan's eyes. In a scenario such as this wouldn't they open more? Even if she is stoic, she would be excited here, not squinting. Unless the implication is that it is a genetic deformity.
- [Joke regarding rainbow gradient and Justin gayness]
- WHY HAS THIS THING NOT KILLED THEM YET?! IT MAKES NO GOD DAMN SENSE.
- You know, this portion of the fight reminds me of the boss battle in Metal Gear Solid 3 in which Eva successfully distracts Volgin by hurling insults at him, belittling his skills at having sex. He goes after her, while Snake has the opportunity to launch rocket launchers at him- repetedly. And yet he keeps going after Eva, who shouts things like "It seems you're only fast in bed, Volgin!" Why is the goo attacking Nanase? Is she really causing a threat to it? Ellen is what it was sent to kill. If it really is robotic, as its whole cursing thing implied, it would not be distracted from its goal. He can't decide whether he wants it to be sentient or not.
- What is that on Ellen's forehead in the first panel? I can't tell- is it blood?
- My annoyance doe not come from Grace hiding, but from Greg saying "she's the most powerful one here." It shows Shive's penchant for Grace- she HAS to be the most powerful one. She's his waifu.
- Also, the censorship annoys me. That is all.
- Where's Tedd?! I bet he could make a hi-larious bondage joke here!
- What friggin color does that girl want to be?
- Of course Susan uses a sword. Why would you think any of the characters would just be normal people?
- Oh! ANOTHER new power! I was actually just thinking that Grace could use another one.
- Oh. It's telekinesis. Eh. Whatevs.
- If Greg is shattering the goo with his bare hands, why can't Elliot and Nanase escape?
- Ah. Kay. Another form. What's this ones power level? A bajillion, Greg? How many more times are you going to get excited.
- Also, she now looks like a man. Though... That's a little ridiculous. Shive has already pulled gender flips on everyone else. He wouldn't do a Grace genderflip. That'd just be stupid.
- "Shade Tail" is a horrendous name.
- "Shade tail" looks nothing like Grace, save the ear-furs. The monster wouldn't recognize it just by that.
- "Shade Tail" is an alternate universe Grace, so their power levels would be different.
- AHR, that picture sums up everything I enjoy about One Piece.
- The first one I mean.
- Ew. What is that pink gas it's expelling.
AHR: Not for a very very very very very long time. Wait for the art to improve first.
Goggle Fox: . . . I'm just going to shake my head at the argument near the end of the last page and walk away for now.
236: At least you can take solace in the fact that Grace totally looks like a dude in that last panel, breasts notwithstanding. 239: Grace is so important that the monster surrenders as soon as it recognizes her, aborting the fight scene. Woo!