This liveblog was originally posted in the now archived Liveblog Forum, from October 13th 2010 to December 9th 2010. That means that the first 383 strips were done at a previous point, and some comments might not make sense unless that is kept in mind.
Greetings. I am AHR.
I read a little webcomic series called El Goonish Shive.
And to be honest, I hate it quite a bit.
Not to say that it's bad, just not very good.
So, at the request of one troper (yes, shockingly high number I know), I decided to make a live blog.
I would be starting with the early stuff (which is clearly much more sucky than the present strips) and would try to go through ten or more at a time until the plot shows up.
Wheee! I'll get started with the first couple, and heres hoping some people will be interested in reading.
The Contents of this liveblog might be VERY nitpicky at times.
: Obviously, Shive improved quite a lot in his present state of drawing. That does not mean I'm going to refrain from nitpicking the hell out of the art.
- Elliot's eyes in the first panel are lopsided
- Tedd's head keeps changing in size and shape, as well as his hair. First panel he has a narrow head, next it's wider but he has uneven lengths of hair, what is this?
- Elliot's hand in the last panel. What in the world happened to that thumb?
- Elliot's hair strands start stringy, but end up chunky
- What happened to Tedd's shirt collar in the penultimate panel?
: The jokes are rather obvious, although they get points for being honest.
- Here we see the beginning of Shive's lampshading abilities. As you can see, they are not very subtle. Or very good.
- Also, the final joke is pretty tacked on. It's far too rushed and would have been done much better if there was a beat panel in between.
- Tedd's 3/4th view in the first panel is...creepy. The left side of his face is just smooshed.
- Elliot has no wrist in the first panel. Just a weird bendy bone arm.
- ATTACK OF THE GIGANTIC KILLA HANDS! RUNN!
- —ahem— anyway, notice that when turned to the side, Tedd's glasses magically become square. Truly a mystery for the ages.
- Finally, the background floor line is rather messily done, with it usually cutting off before hitting anything.
: Oh sure, NOW we get a beat panel.
- I dislike it when Shive tries to parody male sexuality. Mostly because he does it constantly to the point it just gets boring. But, that is a complaint for another day.
- Elliot is quite the user of big words here, with Tedd being the one that does nothing but say one worded retorts. This is clearly a case of Characterization Marches On but...
- The dialogue is badly done. Specifically, what Elliot says. It sounds...fake. Obviously, Rule of Funny lets little gaps in things like this slide and Realistic Diction Is Unrealistic, but once again, this is going to be a reocurring problem with Shive.
- The weird cartoony hands are back, as opposed to the blockish ones from the last strip. Note the lack of wrists. Again.
- We also see Shive attempting to draw boobs. He does them well. No complaints here.
- ...Elliot's head...why is there...a hump...on it?
- Tedd's glasses are rectangular again, and he also can't open his mouth without having an artist SNAFU, it seems.
: First female character and...
- So, we see the delighted use of female on male violence. Cause it's funny. Cause, you know, Tedd was being all perverted. So Sarah hit him! Hah. Ahah. Haaaa. -_-.
- Aren't they...friends...by this point? Don't you think Sarah would be somewhat used to it?
- Straw Feminist Tirade: BLARGLE FLARG HOW DARE YOU ABUSE THIS DOUBLE STANDARD IT'S NOT FUNNY IT'S A STUPID OUTDATED JOKE THAT EVERY ROMANTIC COMEDY AND THEIR MOTHER HAS USED BLARGLE FLARG
- Sarah is without her normal character either. Once again, we will be seeing it march on, but it's still a bit jarring to see. And the reason that the first chunk of EGS is so much more horrible than the second chunk of the already not good EGS.
- Elliot was dropped on the head when he was a baby. No brain damage, just an oddly shaped head.
- More rectangle glasses. Wheeeeeee.
- Hey look. Second panel. Do you see it? Tedd actually has a wee bit of a forehead!
- Elliot's neck in the second panel. I can see it crossing over into his face. What is this?
- The sign. Look at that sign. It bends inwards for pete's sake! Ridiculous!
- Tedd is not sitting. He is hovering.
- AHAHA OH THOSE MALE BOYS AND THEIR PERVERTEDNESS! THIS JOKE WILL NEVER GET OLD!
- What is wrong with Elliot's hand? It looks like a wing. Specifically, Lugia's wing.
- More amazing sitting from the guys.
- Third panel, we see Tedd's eyeglasses slipping. Or maybe a bad lopsided drawing. One of those.
- The last and penultimate panel show that Shive can't draw girl waists. Yet, anyway.
- ...how short is Sarah's hair, exactly? It seems to vary from strip to strip.
- What time is it? Time for ANOTHER violence joke!
- The main problem I have with these is that they are so...simplistic. Anyone could make jokes like these. They are not very unique, clever or interesting. Or funny.
- Why must she repeat what the punchline was LAST time? Wouldn't it have been better to see her walking by, stopping, staring at the sign and the two and then freaking out?
- The hammers are here. We will be seeing them again. They actually made me laugh once. Once.
Whelp, that's the first five strips nitpicked and critted!
Next update we get kraaaaazzzzy foreign scientists, a colored page, ANNNDDDD
—cue dramatic music—