Liveblog: Pokemon Yellow minus pokeballs
Ah, the Pokemon series. Where children of all ages capture powerful beasts and take advantage of their honor codes for protection. While also trying To Be a Master
, whatever that means.
It started with Red and Green, with the simple plot of writing an encyclopedia, fighting Elites, and having several run-ins with organized crime. Each subsequent game has tweaked the gameplay and refined the plot a bit. By now, the changes have added up to the point where White and Black might as well be a different series.
This isn't the first Pokemon liveblog on this site, nor will it be the last. Now for the twists:
- For this challenge, I will not be purchasing or using any form of Poke Balls. With this being Pokemon "Special Pikachu Edition", I won't have a choice of who to start with. But eventually, there will be plenty of Gift Pokemon to chose from.
- The remainder of this blog will be written mostly in character, with the exception of gameplay explanations. (Boss profiles, ect.)
- I will try to give each team member a personality.
- From time to time, I will put up interlude chapters about what else is happening in the pokemon world at about that time, in the style of Dissidia's Reports.
Back in the Gameboy era, plot and character motivations weren't as fleshed out as they are now, although Pokemon wasn't as bad about this as some other games. My attempted expansions are not out of disrespect for the original content, just a reflection about how many blanks to fill in games of that era tended to have.
3. Audience participation
- I will be taking suggestions about how to build up my team.
- Notably, there are two decisions in the early game I will want all your help deciding.
- Which fossil should I pick up in Mt. Moon? (Helix/Omanyte, or Dome/Kabuto)
- Who should be taught the Cut HM? (Bulbasaur or Charmander. Note that there will be other Fire Types available, but no other Grass Types.)
Well, I hope this will prove entertaining to you all.
6th May 11
6th May 11
3rd Nov 11