* CrowningMomentOfFunny: As Susan gets ready to go scuba diving, [[MaleGaze Peter can't help but stare as she gets undressed.]] When Anne, Peter's ImpliedLoveInterest, notices him ogling Susan, he quickly looks away and tries to act casual. [[NotDistractedByTheSexy Meanwhile Brian, Susan's actual boyfriend, is nonchalantly munching on a snack with a look that says 'Eh, seen it.']]
* CrowningMomentOfHeartwarming: On a meta scale. Imagine being shunned by much of the movie making buisness and laughed at. Many people, actors and crew, experienced this. It wasn't until a Con invited them to America did they realize just how much people loved the film. They truly felt honored to have a devoted fanbase and were so happy to see people enjoy it. They were even moved to tears once people began to thank them for the film. They love their fans as much as they love them.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: "Ol' Worm Eye," one of the most famous zombies in movie history.
* HolyShitQuotient: The special effects. Seriosuly when you seen Dawn of the Dead, which had ground breaking effects, to this one the zombie's are much better and scarier. Couple this with even the effects crew thought they'd do a bad job.
* StrangledByTheRedString: Anne and Peter, after going the entire movie with hardly any romantic tension, suddenly pick a time where they're lost on an island crawling with undead, having just narrowly avoided being killed, to start making out on the ground. Though it was probably justified by the filmmakers as it creates an excuse for [[NightmareFuel a zombie's hand to come out of the ground and grab Anne's hair.]]
* TearJerker: Dr. Manard [[spoiler: having to [[MercyKill shoot the corpse of Anne's father.]]]] It's clear the two men were good friends from the way Manard agonizes over the action. At one point he even seems to break down and almost start to cry before he finally works up the nerve to pull the trigger.
** Brian [[spoiler: [[PietaPlagiarism cradling Susan's dead body after she's killed by a zombie.]]]]
* TheWoobie: Poor Paola. She's scared out of her wits being on an island full of zombies and isn't allowed to leave just because her husband wants to study them further. She ends up getting the most brutal death in the film.
** Anne as well. She unexpectedly loses contact with her father while he's on a trip, her only clue to his whereabouts being his boat turning up with a single zombie on-board. She goes to Matul looking for answers, only to find out [[spoiler: that her father became infected with the zombie plague and had to be [[MercyKill mercy killed]] by his friend.]] And that's before she has to spend the rest of the movie running from zombies!
* TookTheBadFilmSeriously: Richard Johnson was embarrassed about appearing in this film. But being the consummate professional that he was, he gave it his all and it shows. The world-weariness, the good intentions, Johnson manages to turn the role of a mad scientist into a tragic, well-intentioned scientist trying to solve the problem instead of exacerbating it.
* VindicatedByHistory: Upon its release it was labeled a video nasty and critics weren't to impressed. Even the Italian critics felt it was below par. However, once YouTube began clips featuring the Shark vs. Zombie and the eye gouging scene they racked up views in the millions. Couple that with some newer reviews from online film critics and people were actively seeking out the film in droves. Nowadays it's considered up there with other zombie films like Romero's film trilogy.