* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: Is the main character a hero, who defeats the monster, or is he pure evil, who goes into the home of a perfectly harmless nonhuman who can't even escape his own home, and [[WhatMeasureIsANonHuman slaughters it without remorse]]?
* AntiClimaxBoss: ''And how!''
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: The well-deserved credits music. [[EarWorm You'll be humming it all day long afterward]].
* DesignatedVillain: [[spoiler:The colossus]] seems like a pretty friendly, happy guy, if only you weren't trying to [[spoiler:drop a chandelier on his head.]]
* ItsShortSoItSucks: Averted. Once you figure out all of the tricks, it's a little on the short side even for a Flash game, but that hasn't stopped many people from playing it multiple times, sometimes in a row. Even if only for the CrowningMusicOfAwesome.
* NightmareFuel: YMMV, but the boss is dang ''creepy''...
* RunningGag: [[spoiler:pretending that you are stuck on another level aside from the first. And every level is unbelievably over the top.]]
* SurpriseDifficulty: Inverted in that players not knowing anything about VideoGame/YouHaveToBurnTheRope would most likely assume that it's a platformer of standard difficulty. ''Not quite...''
* TheUntwist: From the very moment you start playing.
* WhatAnIdiot: When a chandelier starts falling above you, DO NOT deliberately maneuver under it. Jeez. Stupid Boss.