* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: Is the main character a hero who defeats the monster or is he a villain who goes into the home of a perfectly harmless nonhuman who can't even escape his own home, and [[WhatMeasureIsANonHuman slaughters it without remorse]]?
* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: The well-deserved credits music. [[EarWorm You'll be humming it all day long afterward]].
* AntiClimaxBoss: The [[spoiler:Grinning Colossus]] gets a OneHitKill from [[spoiler:a [[MakesJustAsMuchSenseInContext chandelier.]]]]
* DesignatedVillain: [[spoiler:The colossus]] seems like a pretty friendly, happy guy, if only you weren't trying to [[spoiler:drop a chandelier on his head.]]
** [[FridgeBrilliance This might be the reason]] the [[spoiler:Grinning Colossus]] ''[[spoiler:[[NonIndicativeName never smiles]]]]''.
* HilariousInHindsight: The most common way to describe the main character is "[[XMeetsY a cross between]] Kirby and Franchise/IndianaJones." A few years later, we get ''VideoGame/KirbysReturnToDreamLand'', where [[WhipItGood Whip Kirby]] wears a familiar-looking hat...
* ItsShortSoItSucks: Averted. Once you figure out all of the tricks, it's a little on the short side even for a Flash game, but that hasn't stopped many people from playing it multiple times, sometimes in a row. Even if only for the SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic.
* SurpriseDifficulty: Inverted in that players not knowing anything about VideoGame/YouHaveToBurnTheRope would most likely assume that it's a platformer of standard difficulty. ''Not quite...''
* TheUntwist: From the very moment you start playing.