* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: Lots of the soundtrack, which contains both recent, indie songs and some more classic songs (Peggy Lee). Also, Bruce Hornsby.
* HarsherInHindsight: Lance Clayton states that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and that it should be avoided. Robin Williams committed suicide in 2014 - and his death was attributed to asphyxiation, [[spoiler:which is how Kyle dies in the movie]].
* SugarWiki/HeartwarmingMoments: The very, very end where [[spoiler:Lance, his neighbor, and Andrew (Kyle's only friend, who knew Lance faked the note and the journal all along) watch zombie movies together as fellow outcasts.]]
* HeReallyCanAct: Robin Williams had been doing serious movies for decades and won an Oscar over 10 years before this film, but it was still a far cry from the lowest-common-denominator stuff he'd been doing over the past few years.
* MisaimedFandom: Probably intentional. There are posts on this film's IMDB board about how "awesome" Kyle is.
* MistakenForGay: With his fixation on anal sex and constant use of the terms "fag," "gay," and "queer," it's easy to wonder if Kyle is a closeted, in-denial homosexual. [[spoiler:At least until the scene with the elderly lady neighbor.]]
* TheScrappy: Kyle.
** [[spoiler:Kyle's death, at least for Lance. The audience only cries because they're sad for Lance, not because they miss Kyle.]]
** The pool scene at the end might make you cry tears of joy since it shows Lance is finally free. It's also somewhat sad because of the RealitySubtext: It's the last time we ever saw Robin's chest without the scar from his heart surgery.