!! The series in general
** The Mark III version was titled ''Super Wonder Boy'', presumably to distinguish it from the earlier SG-1000 version released exclusively in Japan, since the Mark III was backwards-compatible with all SG-1000 games (also doubles as an UpdatedRerelease, as two extra areas were added and the dolls were given purpose besides points).
** For some reason, the Game Gear version (based on the above release) was titled ''Revenge of Drancon'' in North America (it was simply called ''Wonder Boy'' everywhere else).
* MorePopularSpinoff: The ''Monster World'' sub-series. There's a reason why the [=PS2=] compilation was titled the ''Monster World: Complete Collection'' and not the ''Wonder Boy Collection''.
* DemonicSpiders: The frogs (which are extremely hard to hit before they jump into you) and the literal spiders that appear in droves in later stages.
* GoddamnedBats: Bees, rocks, bats, octopuses, swordfishes, etc.
!!''Wonder Boy in Monster Land''
* GrowingTheBeard: The original Wonder Boy is still considered a solid game, but Monster Land's introduction of it's fantasy setting and RPG elements really helped the series stand out from the crowd as something fresh and unique, setting the foundations for future Wonder Boy games.
* PortingDisaster: The Amiga version had stumpy graphics and tinny sound, did not label shop doors, and had a small play area to fit the status border. (The Master System version instead compressed the HUD into a small bar and put the rest of the info in a pause menu, resulting in a much more playable screen size.)
* ScrappyMechanic: The time limit is inoffensive for the majority of the game, if a bit suffocating at times, but becomes a nightmare by the final stage as in that level it no longer resets when you enter a new room like it previously did, requiring you to go through the longest and most confusing stage in the entire game (final boss included) without resetting the timer once. It's the only stage that's actually physically impossible to complete without taking some damage due to the timer running out, and if it's your first visit to the level and you don't know the very specific route required it will be the death of you.
!!''Wonder Boy Returns''
* DarknessInducedAudienceApathy: The BlackComedy introduction does not incite the audience to like either [[YourCheatingHeart Tom-Tom]] or [[DoubleStandardAbuseFemaleOnMale Tina]] that much.
* ItsTheSameNowItSucks: The general fan consensus was that returning to the original gameplay was unnecessary, as it was not anything that ''Monster Lair'' or the ''VideoGame/AdventureIsland'' series had already done better. It doesn't help that the game looks more like a dated budget mobile game and was released in the shadow of ''VideoGame/MonsterBoyAndTheCursedKingdom'' and the ''Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap'' remake.