!! The series in general
* MorePopularSpinoff: The ''Monster World'' sub-series. There's a reason why the [=PS2=] compilation was titled the ''Monster World: Complete Collection'' and not the "Wonder Boy Collection"
* DemonicSpiders: The frogs (which are extremely hard to hit before they jump into you) and the literal spiders that appear in droves in later stages.
* GoddamnedBats: Bees, rocks, bats, octopuses, swordfishes, etc.
!!''Wonder Boy in Monster Land''
* PortingDisaster: The Amiga version had stumpy graphics and tinny sound, did not label shop doors, and had a small play area to fit the status border. (The Master System version instead compressed the HUD into a small bar and put the rest of the info in a pause menu, resulting in a much more playable screen size.)
!!''Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair''
* PortingDisaster: The Mega Drive version had its graphics horribly mutilated, even worse music than the arcade version, and five stages were removed due to lack of ROM space.
!!''Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap''
* EarWorm: The dragon bosses' battle song. Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHeOUvA5CLo
** This installment is well known among the fan community as having some of the most memorable music in the series.