* DeathOfTheAuthor: While Creator/ChuckJones "Rules" of how the series was written is somewhat well known, his contemporary Creator/FrizFreleng considered his account of the series rules apocryphal, saying he made up the rules long after the original shorts were finished. Considering how often some of the "rules" were broken in the original shorts, there may be some grain of truth in that. Writer Mike Maltese also confirmed that there were no "rules" when they made the original shorts either.
* FanonDiscontinuity: Rudy Larriva's eleven Road Runner shorts (and, arguably, Robert [=McKimson's=] two efforts along with the Sylvester/Speedy crossover directed by Friz Freleng) tend to be considered part of WB's DorkAge.
* FoeYayShipping: Far more common than you might think.
* IntendedAudienceReaction: Feeling sympathy for Wile E. Coyote was the point of the shorts from the start.
* IronWoobie: The Coyote.
* RootingForTheEmpire: An odd [[TheyPlottedAPerfectlyGoodWaste intentional example]]. The audience is supposed to feel sorry for the Coyote, despite being the "villain" of the pair.