* CompleteMonster: The 2006 remake's version of the Stranger is a SerialKiller who stalks, terrifies and eventually murders young women for the [[ForTheEvulz joy]] of it. He prefers to target babysitters, having no compunction about killing the children that they are watching over either. He murders a babysitter and her two charges on the other side of town, and then preys on Jill for the rest of the film, killing her best friend Tiffany and a housekeeper in the process. He is eventually stopped and arrested, but the ordeal proves so traumatic for Jill that she suffers a psychotic break, dreaming that the Stranger is still there to torment her.
* CryForTheDevil: Most people forget that the original continued beyond the twenty-two minute mark, and was just gushing with this.
* ItWasHisSled: The fact that TheCallsAreComingFromInsideTheHouse was originally a shocking twist. The [[TrailersAlwaysSpoil trailer for the remake]] completely spoils this, as well.
* OlderThanTheyThink: The "TheCallsAreComingFromInsideTheHouse" trope did not originate with this film, but ''[[Film/BlackChristmas1974 Black Christmas]]''. And it was an urban legend before that, too.
* ParanoiaFuel: These films basically play on the fear of a) being alone in someone else's house, and b) unusual noises inside said house.