* AlternativeCharacterInterpretation: Dawn. She's either [[TheWoobie a straight up woobie]], a JerkassWoobie or even a SympatheticSue suffering from a lot of DeusAngstMachina. It helps that the film suffers a lot from DarknessInducedAudienceApathy.
* DesignatedHero: If Dawn made more of an effort to actually improve her life, this would be a different film entirely.
* HilariousInHindsight: Throughout the film Dawn is taunted with being a lesbian. Years later, Creator/HeatherMatarazzo (who played Dawn) came out as a lesbian.
** Even better. In interviews, she points out she didn't know what "lesbo" meant, so asked someone on the set. That is when she figured out she was a lesbian.
** In a dark and sick way, this movie plays out in pretty much the same way Meg Griffin's life would on the later episodes of ''WesternAnimation/FamilyGuy''.
* MisaimedFandom : Brandon has some female fans.
* ProtagonistJourneyToVillain[=/=]VillainProtagonist: ''Dawn'' herself could be interpreted to be on her way to becoming a bad girl herself, depending on how you see it.
* TheWoobie: Dawn.
** JerkassWoobie: Again, Dawn herself. This is according to cynical interpretations and point of view.
*** Brandon also comes across as a jerkass woobie as the film goes on.