* HilariousInHindsight: An American distributor (apparently due to a complete lack of understanding of Morris dancing) once claimed ''Discworld/LordsAndLadies'' was about a football team in its synopsis, to which Pratchett's response was that football was one subject he would ''never'' write a Discworld book about...
* MartyStu: Nutt. Troubled past, brooding, good at everything...the list goes on. One wonders how the race was "annihilated" when they are so perfect? The only two things Nutt doesn't demonstrate excellence in is [[SquishyWizard magic]] and [[StayInTheKitchen cooking]].
* OlderThanTheyThink: If the book was intended as a subversion of [[spoiler:Tolkien's conception of Orcs, in fact some of Tolkien's late writings move along remarkably parallel lines, considering that orcs might have free will when apart from their evil masters and being made from ruined men rather than elves. He died before he could finally decide on one definite origin story and cosmic fate]].
** Considering, it's probably more ShownTheirWork...Or FridgeBrilliance.
* SeparatedByACommonLanguage: Evans the Striped's posthumous threat to make boys without their kit [=PLAY IN THEIR PANTS=] went over the heads of American readers who didn't realize he meant their ''under''pants.
** The Librarian [[spoiler: eating the poisoned banana.]] [[JustifiedTrope Justified]] - considering the Librarian's reputation and how everyone else regards him, [[spoiler: who would be stupid enough to try poisoning him with even a sedative?]] And also foreshadowed, much earlier, when it's mentioned that [[spoiler:unlike men, who waste a lot of time asking questions like "I seem to see a banana, but could my senses be deceiving me?", an orangutan will just eat the banana]]. The Librarian's habit of taste-testing anything he happens upon isn't new; it's why he's unofficially banned from the High Energy Magic building.
** Mrs. Atkinson, who [[spoiler: poisoned the Librarian in the first place, having failed to realise that being an old lady with a big vicious son might protect her from retribution in the Shove, but will do nothing to stop the wizards or, for that matter, the angry Librarian himself punishing her.]]
* TheWoobie: Nutt, most of the time. [[spoiler:At least before he tried auto-hypnosis quasi-Freudianism.]]
** A Woobie, for sure, but of the [[IronWoobie iron]] kind.