* AntiClimaxBoss: Much like Shadowgate, the room directly BEFORE the final boss is much more difficult than the last battle itself.
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: The guardian of the Blothney Gem. Even the game itself has a difficult time trying to explain what it is and what it's doing there.
* EarWorm: A few of them in the NES version include the [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfNZ7cwKHDU Cookie Monster Jam]] and the [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNbSfGJwnm4 "Scarlett O'Hara?"]] music.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: The Ghost Lady is your first 'enemy' and once beaten, she'll disappear from the plot. But she's the one thing everyone remembers from the game.
* NightmareFuel: This probably [[LateArrivalSpoiler doesn't surprise anybody]]. However, it needs to be said!
** The woman in white in the first hallway.
** Creatures suddenly appearing without warning (Which usually means a sudden change of music as well).
** The descriptions of the [[TheManyDeathsOfYou many, many gruesome deaths]] players will likely be met with.
** The GrossUpCloseUp of most monsters when they kill you.