* AdaptationDisplacement: More people remember the show than the toy line that came with it.
** The five Trollz are similar in temperament and color-coding to the five main Literature/StarDarlings. Amethyst is sweet and determined like Sage, Topaz is girly and generous like Libby, Ruby is willful and brash like Leona, Sapphire is ambitious and studious like Vega, and Onyx is a snarky loner like Scarlet.
** The Trollz and Simon are very similar to the ''WesternAnimation/SpacePOP'' cast in terms of color schemes and personalities. Amethyst's like Athena, Ruby's like Luna, Topaz's like Hera, Sapphire's like Rhea, Onyx's like Juno, and Simon's like Geela.
* HilariousInHindsight: Characters named after gemstones? WesternAnimation/StevenUniverse must be copying this gimmick.
* HoYayShipping: Onyx/Topaz or Ruby/Amethyst.
* JerkassWoobie: Ruby during the arc where her friends turn evil and leave her all sad and lonely.
* LauncherOfAThousandShips: Topaz has been paired up with Simon, Jasper and Onyx. Ruby has also been paired with Rock, Simon and the other members of the BFFL.
* SomeAnvilsNeedToBeDropped: The final episode has the girls all losing their tempers, snapping at each other and pulling pranks. Rather than losing their anger, they control and use their anger as a positive force to quell a bigger threat, showing that anger can be positive in some circumstances rather than being something to get rid of or suppress.
** There was a lot more the writers could've done with the story arc where the girls turned evil.
** On the website there is mention of Black Amber, implied to be very bad stuff, and how it contributed to how things turned out--Simon was said to have unleashed it, almost destroying the planet. It's never mentioned in the show.
* UglyCute: Sandstone the ogre.
* VisualEffectsOfAwesome: The effects used when casting spells.