* AntiClimaxBoss: The Silver Samurai. Most complaints are about his overhyped feature in the film yet his single fight scene did not last long in the climax. And he's the modern PoweredArmor version, to boot.
** Some fans were rolling their eyes at the prospect of yet ''another'' Wolverine film, while others were more optimistic due to its change in director.[[note]]Although the problem [[ExecutiveMeddling doesn't seem to be the director]][[/note]]
** The decision to [[spoiler: bring back Wolverine's bone claws but still have an adamantium body]] has split fans in two.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: [[BadassAdorable Yu]][[TheLadette kio]] has acquired some remarkable popularity amongst the fanbase and movie audiences.
* FetishRetardant: Viper attempts to be a MsFanservice, but fails. This was due to a bad wardrobe choice, among other things.
* MoralEventHorizon: If Mariko's comments are anything to go by, [[spoiler:Yashida crosses it by faking his death and working with Viper to further the plot of the film through such means as sending Yakuza goons to kidnap Mariko and forcefully removing Logan's Wolverine powers (at one point, he even goes so far as to cause chaos at his own funeral!)]].
** [[spoiler: The Yakuza was sent by Shingen, not Yashida. Yashida sent Harada to look after Mariko, so there was no reason for him to hire the Yakuza. His real MoralEventHorizon, if not trying to steal Wolverine's HealingFactor, was killing Harada, his own grandson.]]
** Probably severe YMMV here, but... [[SpecialEffectsFailure the freaking bear.]]
** Logan jumping over the guy on the bullet train, whilst ''screaming''. Try not to laugh.
** During the climax, Viper chases after Wolverine and Mariko, and hisses as she does so. Both her run and the hiss look and sound ridiculous.
* TheScrappy: Viper, with any semblance of being a MagnificentBitch taken by [[spoiler:Yashida himself]], leaving her an enormously bitchy SmugSnake with FetishRetardant. Didn't help her case when Viper's characterization here gives her snake powers [[note]](she didn't have any in the comics, as she was originally "Evil Black Widow")[[/note]] and her actress was terrible in the part. As a final punch to the gut, she has absolutely ''nothing'' to do with her comic book counterpart.
** It's quite obvious that the train action scene is filmed in front of a green screen.
** The Silver Samurai suit doesn't look as convincing as it should be considering how well rendered armored battle suits in movies like ''Film/IronMan'' are nowadays.
** While the digital bear at the beginning of the film is somewhat hokey, the practical-effects created bear that appears shortly afterward just screams animatronic.
* StrangledByTheRedString: Logan constantly dreams about Jean Grey and wishes to be with her again yet he shares a few intimate moments with Mariko, who already engaged to another man at the time and only knew him for a few days. The film noir setting could justify this relationship as a form of comfort for Logan.
** It's worth noting that Wolverine also only knew Jean Grey ''for a few days at most'' [[note]](the first X-Men film takes place over maybe two days, then Wolverine goes to Canada to look around the Alkali Lake facility; in X2 he sees Jean at the mansion for a couple minutes, and then meets up with her again the evening before the big battle; then they see each other on a couple occasions in X3 when she's the Phoenix)[[/note]] and, more importantly, ''they weren't actually in a relationship''. And that one's played as a romance for the ages.
* SignatureScene: TheStinger.
* SurprisinglyImprovedSequel: Initial reviews seem to be placing it as one to ''X-Men Origins: Wolverine''. It can also be considered one to ''X-Men: The Last Stand'', since ''The Wolverine'' takes place after [[spoiler:Logan was forced to kill Jean Grey]], but it's more contentious to say so as it's not ''really'' an X-Men film and ''X-Men: First Class'' was also well received.
* TheyWastedAPerfectlyGoodCharacter: The decision to have the Silver Samurai [[spoiler: be the old BigBad guy, when they had TWO characters who could have made for a really BadAss PoweredArmor warrior for Wolverine to face and have a real adamantium fight with (those two being Harada and Shingen).]]
** Not to mention the design itself means the climax devolved into a generic superhero CGI fight, that really didn't match the film noir tone the film had I tilt he very end. Most people would've preferred Wolverine fight a [[spoiler: human-sized]] Silver Samurai.
* WinBackTheCrowd: The film discarded the previous ''Wolverine'' film and basically started from spin-off scratch, adapting one of the most famous comic arcs for the character and going for a smaller and more personal scale for the character. The result was far more well-received than ''Film/XMenOriginsWolverine'', enough for Fox to kick the tires on a follow-up with Hugh Jackman and director James Mangold returning.