* AwardSnub: Its Best Picture and Best Director nominations were a pleasant surprise, but the lack of a Best Supporting Actor nomination for BradPitt is a bit of a shame. The lack of nomination for Best Visual Effects was even more incomprehensible.
** The overdue Emmanuel Lubezki had practically swept the awards season for his gorgeous cinematography, yet lost the Oscar in an upset to Robert Richardson for ''Hugo''.
* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: You want operatic classical music. WE'VE GOT OPERATIC CLASSICAL MUSIC!!
* MemeticMutation: "You are ALLOWED to live here!"
* TearJerker: Terrence Malick is usually known for emotionally distant films, making it all the more surprising that this is the closest he's gone to outright tear-jerker mode.
* SugarWiki/VisualEffectsOfAwesome: Awesome doesn't even come close to describing it. Douglas Trumbull, VFX artist from ''Film/TwoThousandOneASpaceOdyssey'' was dragged out of retirement because Malick didn't like what modern CGI artists were doing (or more accurately: modern CGI[[note]] although the Nature and Astral Realms were realized through this method via PrimeFocus and Creator/DoubleNegativeVFX respectively[[/note]]). Even [[WebVideo/TheCinemaSnob Brad Jones]], who spent over a half hour bashing the film, thought the visuals were flawless.
* WhatDoYouMeanItWasntMadeOnDrugs: See TrippyFinaleSyndrome