* AwardSnub: Its Best Picture and Best Director nominations were a pleasant surprise, but the lack of a Best Supporting Actor nomination for BradPitt is a bit of a shame. The lack of nomination for Best Visual Effects was even more incomprehensible.
** The overdue Emmanuel Lubezki had practically swept the awards season for his gorgeous cinematography, yet lost the Oscar in an upset to Robert Richardson for ''Hugo''.
* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: You want operatic classical music. WE'VE GOT OPERATIC CLASSICAL MUSIC!!
* CriticalDissonance: Egads. Despite winning the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival in 2011 and being one of the most well received films of that year by critics, it also earned a significant backlash from mainstream audiences. Fro example, the WebSite/RottenTomatoes score on the audience's side is barely at 60% while critics is at a very healthy 84%. General consensus on the negative side of the spectrum seems to be that the film is pretentious and deliberately incomprehensible, attempting to lend gravity on a cosmic scale to earthly subjects that many consider almost inherently boring.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Mrs. Obrien, in a role that helped propel the actress Jessica Chastain (along with other performances in a very prolific 2011) from relative unknown to indie film royalty.
* MemeticMutation: "You are ALLOWED to live here!"
* TearJerker: Terrence Malick is usually known for emotionally distant films, making it all the more surprising that this is the closest he's gone to outright tear-jerker mode.
* SugarWiki/VisualEffectsOfAwesome: Awesome doesn't even come close to describing it. Douglas Trumbull, VFX artist from ''Film/TwoThousandOneASpaceOdyssey'' was dragged out of retirement because Malick didn't like what modern CGI artists were doing (or more accurately: modern CGI[[note]] although the Nature and Astral Realms were realized through this method via Creator/PrimeFocus and Creator/DoubleNegativeVFX respectively[[/note]]). Even Creator/BradJones, who spent over a half hour bashing the film, thought the visuals were flawless.
%%* WhatDoYouMeanItWasntMadeOnDrugs: See TrippyFinaleSyndrome