* AcceptableEthnicTargets: Played with in "The Jew, the Italian, and the Redhead Gay".
** Also "Monkeys Do It" and its sequel, for Italians.
* CrossesTheLineTwice: "Monkey Torture" is only the most obvious example.
* FaceOfTheBand: Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter had a talent for stealing the limelight, and one or the other was usually the main speaker in the fourth-wall-breaking "Hi, we're The State" skits.
* HilariousInHindsight: The Bacon Sketch; funny at the time, but now that people are putting bacon in EVERYTHING, it's this.
* NoSuchThingAsBadPublicity: As [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO1SQegHZ2U this promo]] shows, the group took their harsher bad reviews (including the infamous [[BrokeTheRatingScale Negative Two Stars review]]) and put quotes over footage of the group pretending to be depressed. The promo even ends with [[SelfDeprecation "...more miserable crap..."]].