** Par of the course when the game's opening and [[spoiler: golden]] ending feature, respectively, [[Film/AmericanBeauty "Dead Already" and "Any Other Name"]] (both by Music/ThomasNewman).
** Also, when you follow ''[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guIaCocnNaw The Stanley Parable Adventure Line™]]''.
** The Secret Disco song, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-ZRO0Dl5Y Kevin MacLeod's "Who Likes To Party".]]
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45wz_ZjpgdU The Countdown music]] is pretty awesome too; really gets your blood pumping, for whatever it's worth!
* ColbertBump: To say that people learned about Kevin [=MacLeod=] because of [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49AiqH-DuR0 Who Likes To Party]] is an understatement.
** The Eight Game is considered by many to be one of the prime highlights of the demo.
*** So much so that [[https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.omnomcom.eight&hl=en somebody has created an Android app of The Eight Game]], complete with the original sound.
** ''The Stanley Parable Adventure Line™''.
* JerkassWoobie: The Narrator, depending on which ending you get. [[spoiler: The Confusion ending implies that he's not really in control at all and is just as controlled and trapped as Stanley.]]
** '''EIGHT!''' [[labelnote:Explanation]]The demo of the 2013 HD remake features a button in place of the actual ''The Stanley Parable'' demo that has a red number eight painted on it and pressing it causes a voice to shout out "'''EIGHT!'''" while the number lights up on several tiny monitors behind it. The Narrator pleads with the player that this is not the actual game and demands him to leave the room, becoming increasingly desperate if the player remains and repeatedly presses the button.[[/labelnote]]
** OH, DID U GET THE BROOM CLOSET ENDING? THEB ROOM CLOSET ENDING WAS MY FAVRITE!1 XD [[labelnote:Explanation]]If you spend too much time loitering in the broom closet, the Narrator asks if you're holding out for another ending, and says there isn't one. He then snarks that you're probably stupid enough to think waiting in the closet is the ending, and you'll go on the internet afterwards and say "OH, DID U GET THE BROOM CLOSET ENDING? THEB ROOM CLOSET ENDING WAS MY FAVRITE!1 XD"[[/labelnote]]
* PeripheryDemographic: [[WebVideo/TheCynicalBrit TotalBiscuit]] is a mechanically-focused gamer who will forgive a crappy story for good mechanics, and he generally doesn't like games like ''VideoGame/DearEsther'' and ''VideoGame/GoneHome''. That said, he dubbed ''The Stanley Parable'' one of the best games of its year.
* ThatOneAchievement: The HD version goes to town on parodying this. The top three "impossible" achievements require you to spend an entire Tuesday playing the game, to ''not'' play the game for five years, and the final one is completely impossible to get. [[spoiler:The first two can be acquired by adjusting your computer's date and time settings, the third seems to be handed out at random, if [=YouTube=] evidence is to be believed[[note]]...or you can use [[http://www.themutegamer.com/guide/the-stanley-parable/unachievable-achievement/ this guide]] to cheat your way to it[[/note]]]].
* UnwinnableByInsanity: Happens in the original mod when you get off of the elevator between the time when you push the button and when the elevator doors close.
** You can get stuck in the Portal room, just like the Portal game. Unlike Portal, though, it doesn't give you a way out. It does, however, chastise you for doing so, making it also (a rare case of) UnwinnableByDesign.