* AmbiguousDisorder: Edward seems to be suffering from some sort of depression.
* AntiVillain: [[spoiler: Reverend Dr. Tan/The Narrator]] who generally just wants to make the world a better place. [[spoiler: However, he resorts to murder and petty revenge as well...]]
* [[spoiler:TheBadGuyWins]]:[[spoiler: Depending on your interpretation of the ending, the narrator's BatmanGambit may have ended like this. According to him, the cult succeeds and everything works in his favor. However, there are shades of UnreliableNarrator with this.]]
* BadassAdorable: The Somnambulist
* ChaoticEvil: Hawker and Boon, full stop. Both are Type 1.
* ChivalrousPervert: Edward. He frequently visits a brothel whenever he's bored, but he also treats the women in his life with great respect.
* DepravedBisexual: Barabbas
* DesignatedVillain: Maurice Trotman
* FirstInstallmentWins: A very minor example, but this book seems to have gotten better reception than its companion novel, The Domino Men.
* FoeYay: Moon and Barabbas.
* TheGrotesque: Mina and the other prostitutes at Puggsley's.
* HoYay: Barrabas and Owsley.
* InspectorJavert: Mr. Skimpole.
* IronWoobie: Edward Moon and [[spoiler: Mr. Skimpole.]]
* LawfulEvil: Mr. Skimpole
* MoralEventHorizon: The Prefects cross it by [[spoiler: beating Skimpole's son to death as their "payment."]]
* NiceJobFixingItVillain: YMMV on how you define "fixing it." [[spoiler: In an effort to see his plan go off without a hitch, the Reverend Dr. Tan hires Arthur Barge, aka the Mongoose, to kill the members of the Directorate. This prompts Skimpole to hire the Prefects, who kill Arthur, Trotman and most of Dr. Tan's army, buying Edward enough time to cause Coleridge to break down.]]
* UglyCute: Moon's favorite type of prostitute. His current favorite is Mina, the bearded lady who has a thing described as ''a curious deformity, a grisly pink piece of flesh which bore a ghastly, visceral resemblance to the severed arm of an infant'' growing out of her chest.