* AdaptationDisplacement: Justified. The film was released worldwide; the book is difficult to find even in New Zealand and nearly impossible to lay hands on elsewhere.
* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: Two possible explanations for Zac's actions in the ending.
** [[spoiler: 1. Zac realized on his way back to his house that he didn't have time to get the remote control system, because the DepopulationBomb was going to happen again too early. He took the truck in to try to [[HeroicSacrifice save Joanne and Api.]]]]
** [[spoiler: 2. Zac never intended to get the remote control, and decided to [[DrivenToSuicide commit suicide]] by blowing himself up, because he still felt guilty and isolated. He thought Joanne and Api would be better off without him.]]
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: The entire score, especially [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MhXLASPPmo Saturn Rising]].
* SpecialEffectsFailure: It's kind of obvious that there's a matte covering the sky at the end, because you can see the reflection of the actual sun on the water.
** Also the body of Zac's coworker is pretty obviously a dummy.
* UnfortunateImplications: The only character who isn't white in the film is rough and violent and obviously has military training, in sharp contrast to the other characters.
** Zac and Joanne's conversation as they're setting off to look for survivors.
--> Zac: We might find all manner of horrors. Politicians... Transvestites...
** Shortly before this conversation, Zac had gone on a highly destructive rampage while wearing nothing but a woman's slip. YMMV on whether or not this makes it worse.