* CrowningMomentOfFunny: The League's response to [[spoiler: Elizabeth and Skinner's engagement]] in the fifth volume.
** "Allan Observes" was written specifically with this trope in mind.
** There's also the scene in the version of volume IV from Skinner's point of view, in which [[spoiler:he has a mental conversation with the deceased Allan to ask his permission to marry Elizabeth.]]
* CrowningMomentOfHeartwarming: A few here and there; the last chapter of the last volume ends on one.
* DieForOurShip: A meta example, as it wasn't another character the fans wanted out of the way. Some of the more vehement Skinner/Elizabeth shippers threatened bodily harm ''on the author'' if the AnchoredShip didn't set sail.
* FixerSue: Elizabeth, arguably; the thing she was created to "fix" was the fact that [[spoiler: Allan Quatermain died and left no children behind him, something the author found incredibly depressing]].
* ParanoiaFuel: Elizabeth spends most of the first volume with an invisible man (not that one) stalking her around the ship, including in her bedroom. After she knows about it, it takes her a while to get over it.