* AngstWhatAngst: Justified and explained.
* CanonSue: Johnny. He has no known flaws unlike the rest of the gang and isn't given any depth other than the fact that he's a NiceGuy who's abused by his parents, is Dally's MoralityPet, and is Ponyboy's best friend. The rest of the gang adores him and never gets angry at him, and Two-Bit even says that the gang can go without anyone but Johnny.
* HilariousInHindsight: Our protagonists name is Ponyboy. Around fifty years later in 2010, we see MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic and its well-known fanbase with adult men and teenage boys.
* HoYay: Johnny and Ponyboy.
** Johnny and Dallas, as well.
*** Plus Johnny and Sodapop. Really, Johnny flirts with everybody.
** And there's Pony and his brothers being one big ol' incest fest: Pony saying Soda looks like a Greek god or a movie star, or Sodapop giving Darry a backrub, anyone?
*** Let's not forget that Ponyboy and Sodapop sleep in the same bed, too.
*** Bro Yay?
**** [[IncrediblyLamePun Nay.]]
* IdiotPlot: After killing Bob, instead of going on the run and hiding from the police (as if THEY did anything bad), Johnny and Ponyboy could have just gone to the police, turned themselves in, explained that Johnny killed Bob to protect Ponyboy, and counter sued the socs. By going into hiding, Johnny and Ponyboy got themselves into a lot of trouble that could have easily been avoided if they had just explained that it was a killing done in defense of another person.
** Except, of course, that it's their word against the social elites of the towns who probably have parents with greater influence and funds than they do. At best, the police would have a hard time believing them and, at worst, they would put them in prison.
** Their guilt would have to have been proven beyond any doubt. Money would not matter. At the end, there is a trial, and Ponyboy is found not guilty (and presumably the socs were imprisoned).
* MoralEventHorizon: Bob crosses the line when he tries to drown Ponyboy. This is where the Socs graduate from mere bullying to attempted murder.
** They're waterboarding him (very, ''very'' crudely) in the film. It still ''looks'' like they're drowning him, so still a MEH in-universe.
* SpecialEffectsFailure: In the MoralEventHorizon scene, you will see some of the worst blood effects you will ever see in your entire life.
* TearJerker: Johnny's [[spoiler:death.]] And later, Dallas's [[spoiler:death]] because Johnny was the only thing he really cared about. The movie portrays this excellently.
* TheWoobie: Johnny.
** In the book, Darry could count as something of a JerkassWoobie, since although Ponyboy is pretty well convinced his brother doesn't care about him (as he can be pretty cold and harsh at times), he's still trying quite hard to keep his family together and gave up a lot so that they'd get to stay together. Despite the way he acts sometimes, it's hard not to feel sorry for a twenty year old guy who's lost his parents and suddenly has to head his family.
*** It's also important to remember Darry was college bound before his parents died. While he couldn't fully afford it, he was smart (and poor) enough to get scholarships. Instead, he didn't go to college and is struggling to keep his brothers from being trapped like he is.
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotSymbolic: [[spoiler:Johnny dying]] to save children in a burning building. Not symbolic? [[spoiler:Look again at his initials.]]
** In a church no less.