* AngstWhatAngst: Justified and explained.
* CanonSue: Johnny. He has no known flaws unlike the rest of the gang and isn't given any depth other than the fact that he's a NiceGuy who's abused by his parents, is Dally's MoralityPet, and is Ponyboy's best friend. The rest of the gang adores him and never gets angry at him, and Two-Bit even says that the gang can go without anyone but Johnny.
** [[JustifiedTrope Potentially justified.]][[FridgeBrilliance The book is written from Ponyboy's perspective when he is still a young man.]][[NeverSpeakIllOfTheDead He probably doesn't want to say anything bad about his fallen friend.]]
* DeathByIrony: [[spoiler: Bob was killed by Johnny, the same kid he and other Socs badly beat to a pulp]]
* HilariousInHindsight: Our protagonists name is Ponyboy. Around fifty years later in 2010, we see '''WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic'' and its well-known fanbase with adult men and teenage boys.
* HoYay: Johnny and Ponyboy.
** Johnny and Dallas, as well.
*** Plus Johnny and Sodapop. Really, Johnny flirts with everybody.
** And there's Pony and his brothers being one big ol' incest fest: Pony saying Soda looks like a Greek god or a movie star, or Sodapop giving Darry a backrub, anyone?
*** Let's not forget that Ponyboy and Sodapop sleep in the same bed, too.
*** Bro Yay?
*** [[IncrediblyLamePun Nay.]]
* MoralEventHorizon: Bob crosses the line when he tries to drown Ponyboy. This is where the Socs graduate from mere bullying to attempted murder.
** They're waterboarding him (very, ''very'' crudely) in the film. It still ''looks'' like they're drowning him, so still a MEH in-universe.
* SpecialEffectsFailure: In the MoralEventHorizon scene, you will see some of the worst blood effects you will ever see in your entire life.
* TheWoobie: Johnny.
** In the book, Darry could count as something of a JerkassWoobie, since although Ponyboy is pretty well convinced his brother doesn't care about him (as he can be pretty cold and harsh at times), he's still trying quite hard to keep his family together and gave up a lot so that they'd get to stay together. Despite the way he acts sometimes, it's hard not to feel sorry for a twenty year old guy who's lost his parents and suddenly has to head his family.
*** It's also important to remember Darry was college bound before his parents died. While he couldn't fully afford it, he was smart (and poor) enough to get scholarships. Instead, he didn't go to college and is struggling to keep his brothers from being trapped like he is.
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotSymbolic: [[spoiler:Johnny dying]] to save children in a burning building. Not symbolic? [[spoiler:Look again at his initials.]]
** In a church no less.