* AngstWhatAngst: Justified and explained.
* HilariousInHindsight: Our protagonists name is Ponyboy. Around fifty years later in 2010, we see MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic and it's well-known fanbase with adult man and teenage boys.
* HoYay: Johnny and Ponyboy.
** Johnny and Dallas, as well.
*** Plus Johnny and Sodapop. Really, Johnny flirts with everybody.
** And there's Pony and his brothers being one big ol' incest fest: Pony saying Soda looks like a Greek god or a movie star, or Sodapop giving Darry a backrub, anyone?
*** Let's not forget that Ponyboy and Sodapop sleep in the same bed, too.
*** Bro Yay?
**** [[IncrediblyLamePun Nay.]]
*** Let's take into account that the story ''was'' written by a 16 year-old girl, [[FridgeBrilliance who most likely had little firsthand knowledge of how male bonding usually works and had to extrapolate based on what she knew of the way women comfort and care for each other.]]
* MoralEventHorizon: Bob crosses the line when he tries to drown Ponyboy. This is where the Socs graduate from mere bullying to attempted murder.
** They're waterboarding him (very, ''very'' crudely) in the film. It still ''looks'' like they're drowning him, so still a MEH in-universe.
* SpecialEffectsFailure: In the MoralEventHorizon scene, you will see some of the worst blood effects you will ever see in your entire life.
* TearJerker: Johnny's [[spoiler:death.]] And later, Dallas's [[spoiler:death]] because Johnny was the only thing he really cared about. The movie portrays this excellently.
* TheWoobie: Johnny.
** Darry could count as something of a JerkassWoobie, since although Ponyboy is pretty well convinced his brother doesn't care about him, and he can be pretty cold and harsh at times, he's still trying quite hard to keep his family together and gave up a lot so that they'd get to stay together. Despite the way he acts sometimes, it's hard not to feel sorry for a twentysomething guy who's lost his parents and suddenly has to head his family.
*** It's also important to remember Darry was college bound before his parents died. While he couldn't fully afford it, he was smart (and poor) enough to get scholarships. Instead, he didn't go to college and is struggling to keep his brothers from being trapped like he is.
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotSymbolic: [[spoiler:Johnny dying]] to save children in a burning building. Not symbolic? [[spoiler:Look again at his initials.]]
** In a church no less.