YMMV entries for ''Fanfic/TheOneILoveIs'':
** Yui gets depicted in a more innocent way than in canon or later fanon. In this story she did not intend to get absorbed into Unit 01, and Naoko set in motion the failed experiment.
* BetterThanItSounds: A wimpy boy strings two girls along during half year because he is too chicken to choose one of them. Meanwhile, aliens attack.
** Asuka did not kiss Shinji in canon because she was bored. It was a bad excuse and she knew it. She was at least partially aware that she liked Shinji and she was (very clumsily) trying to seduce him.
** Rei is NOT a partial clone of Yui Ikari or half-angel. Canonically she is a clone of Yui. Period.
** Back then fans debated about Kaji's assassin's identity. A pretty large group believed that person being Misato. Alain was unsure so what he left the matter ambiguous.
** Yui actually wanted to get absorbed into Unit 01.
* ItWasHisSled: When this fic was ongoing, readers had to wait till the last scene of the second-to-last chapter to find out Shinji's choice. Nowadays it is not a secret since this story was popular back then and it is considered a classic of its age, especially among a sector of shippers.
* MarySue: Rakna started to truly like Rei as he wrote the fic, and he started to portray her like such a nice, clever, compassionate and understanding person she bordered on MarySue territory. However, he made sure to show she had flaws and made mistakes to try and prevent her from becoming one. Nonetheless it can be a subversion, since ironically [[spoiler:he ultimately decided Shinji and she were not a good couple due to that, and he stuck to his previously planned final.]]
* NoExportForYou: Averted. TOILI has been translated to several idioms: French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish and Russian, at least. Rakna's newest homepage no longer hosts the links to the translations, but you can find them [[http://web.archive.org/web/20081206162012/http://www.geocities.com/nge_toili/trans.html here]].
* OneTrueThreesome: Averted. After some fans complained about Shinji's final choice, the author reasonably argued Shinji could not have gotten both girls. One of the pictures illustrating the html files though parodied it: Shinji was hugging both girls and the caption stated: "Why choosing one when you can have both?"
* TheWoobie: Honestly, after reading the chapters six and nine or the “Darkness of a Broken Heart” side-story is hard not feeling sorry for Asuka. Shinji has his moments, too.