* AdaptationDisplacement: Chances are, if you mention this movie to someone, they're going to think of the Eddie Murphy one without realizing that the first version was in the 1960s.
* HilariousInHindsight: In the 1990s version, Sherman Klump adopts a [[SurvivalMantra reassuring motto]] from fitness guru Lance Perkins: "[[BarackObama Yes, I can]]".
** Dean Ritchman gets [[BlackComedyRape raped by a hamster]] in The Klumps. 1 year later, he becomes a principal in [[MaxKeeblesBigMove Max Keeble's school,]] where the titular character spikes his cologne with Pheromones causing various animals to [[GettingCrapPastTheRadar try the same thing]] [[NeverLiveItDown to him.]]
** It's also the catchphrase of WesternAnimation/BobTheBuilder.
* IdiotPlot: In ''The Klumps'' there was literally no reason Sherman couldn't tell Denise what was going on.
* NoYay: The hamster and Dean Richmond, who both hint at being interested in continuing their relationship.
* SignatureScene: The kid flexing during the Dinner Scene in the 1990s version.
* TearJerker: The scene in the first film when Sherman is being picked on by the comedian Reggie. We pan into Sherman's hurt face and sad music plays. Anybody who was ever bullied would know what that feels like.
** In the second film, when [[spoiler: getting rid of Buddy turns Klump (apparently) irreversibly into a [[TheDitz ditz]]]], the now dumber (and amnesiac) [[spoiler: Klump]] is the reason viewers need a tissue supply when watching the movie. And when he sees his love interest for the first time after that happens...
--> '''Denise (in tears)''': Sherman, what is my name?
--> '''Klump:''' ''[[TheWoobie "... Pretty... lady?"]]''
** [[spoiler: The look on Cletus' face is also heartbreaking.]]
* ValuesDissonance: In the original, a teacher is romantically interested in one of his students.
** The remake has Klump falling for a graduate student who's teaching her first class.
* TheWoobie: Professor Klump. Comedic as the remake is, it does also show how his obese situation is affecting his life negatively. His AmazinglyEmbarrassingParents don't help, either.