* AwesomeMusic: The whole movie, but special mention goes to the opening song, which is rife with MickeyMousing.
* CoveredUp: How many of you knew that Music/TheBeatles' hit "'Til There Was You" originated in this musical?
* DesignatedVillain: Charlie Cowell, the anvil salesman who hates Hill and wants to expose him as a fraud. He's a little sleazy, hitting on Marian, but he ends the play [[UnintentionallySympathetic having probably lost his job and watching Harold Hill get away with everything]].
* EarWorm: A lot of the songs, including "Pick-a-Little, Talk-a-Little", "Shipoopi", "Ya Got Trouble", "Iowa Stubborn", and "Marian the Librarian."
* FunnyAneurysmMoment: The song "Gary, Indiana". When ''The Music Man'' first debuted in 1957, the song was unintentionally funny due to Gary's reputation at the time as a bustling factory city (U.S. Steel) famous for vice dens of gambling and prostitution. In the present day, Gary is just another [[DyingTown dying Rust Belt factory town]] with large numbers of abandoned buildings.
** In a bit of historical irony, the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, was born in Gary, Indiana the year after the musical came out.
* WeirdAlEffect: Quite a few people think that "Shipoopi" originated on ''WesternAnimation/FamilyGuy''.