* CrossesTheLineTwice: Sue's TransparentCloset friend Bradgot sent to a religious camp where he got cured....of his "smoking."
* FunnyAneurysmMoment: In the Japanese exchange student episode, Frankie describes sending a wave to Japan (which Mike reminds her is called a tsunami, which the Japanese do not like).
** In the fifth season, a RunningJoke in "The Award" has Sue being mistaken for an exchange student from Ukraine. The episode, obviously written and filmed months earlier, aired the week after serious political unrest in Ukraine, including the deaths of dozens of protesters in the streets of Kiev, forced the country's president to flee.
* HeyItsThatGuy: Mike's dad used to run a tavern in [[Series/NorthernExposure Cicely, Alaska]], and his brother used to anchor [[Series/SaturdayNightLive Weekend Update]].
* JustEatGilligan: It's hardly suggested that Frankie would be a little less stressed out if Mike would offer to take up some of her duties or if she would call him out for just staying out of the way.
* StrawmanHasAPoint: Even ''if'' Brick started a fire because he used the oven, it was ''still'' being used to store ''quilts''.
** As of the third season ("The Map"), [[RunningGag the oven is still being used to store quilts]].