* CompleteMonster: [[BigBad Wong Hoi/Johnny Weng]] especially counts towards the final act of the movie, where he delivers a savage NoHoldsBarredBeatdown on Jeffery/Ah Jong's close friend Fung Sei/Sydney Fung (who had come on Ah Jong's behalf to get the money he needs to have Jenny's eyes fixed), kills the priest of Ah Jong's church so that he can take Jenny hostage, kills his own syndicate hitman after he is used to try to break the PutDownYourGunAndStepAway situation with poor Jenny, and, [[spoiler: worst of all, brutally murders Ah Jong, blinding him so that his eyes cannot be used to have Jenny's fixed, leaving her blind forever]]. There isn't even any victory in [[spoiler: his final death at the hands of Inspector Li Ying]] because [[spoiler: it happens right in front of the cops that he had just surrendered to, resulting in Li's arrest at the very end of the movie]].
** While Li stakes out Ah Jong, Tsang Yeh, posing as a garbage man, gets chewed out by an old lady.
** After confronting Li inside Jennie's apartment, Ah Jong "leaves" to use the bathroom.
-->'''Ah Jong:''' ''(looks outside)'' Aiya, there's a big rat!
* HoYay: So very much with Ah Jong and just about every male member of the cast. But with Li in particular, who gets absolutely rhapsodic when describing Ah Jong to the other policemen. And then when they're sitting together by the riverside, Li says "[[DoesThisRemindYouOfAnything Sometimes I really want to do something, but can't.]]"
-->'''Li:''' He looks determined without being ruthless. There's something heroic about him. He doesn't look like a killer. He comes across so calm... acts like he has a dream... eyes full of passion.
* MemeticMutation: "Why don't you just shoot me dead?" Very common among Chinese-speaking country. Some netizens posted Chow's face with such subtitle when they are frustrated and going to give up.
* MoralEventHorizon: If you don't hate Wong Hoi already when he betrays Ah Jong, or when he [[spoiler:savagely beats Fung Sei]], you surely will when he [[spoiler:takes Jennie hostage after killing the priest trying to bring her out of the church]].
* NarmCharm: The MexicanStandoff at Jennie's apartment manages to be hilariously awkward yet nail bitingly tense.
* TearJerker: The ending. Everything about it.