* AssPull: PlayedForLaughs. Poochie is [[ShooOutTheNewGuy sloppily killed off]] in one cartoon, with a crude movement of cels and stuck on note saying he died on the way to his home planet. Everyone hated Poochie so much they didn't care, they ''erupted in applause''.
* DesignatedMonkey: In a parody of standard cat and mouse cartoons, Scratchy is brutalised just because.
* DudeNotFunny: Often from Marge, though there are episodes that touch a nerve with even Bart and Lisa, albeit usually connected with some dilemma they are undergoing at the time.
* HilariousInHindsight: In "The Tears of a Clone", Scratchy has died, and Itchy realizes that VictoryIsBoring and life is meaningless without his ArchEnemy around, so he creates a cloning machine and creates more clones of Scratchy so he can kill them. However, he grows tired because of the way the machine spits out clones, so Itchy creates a killing machine and makes an endless slaughterfest. Over fifteen years later, we get the ''[[Recap/TheSimpsonsS27E5TreehouseOfHorrorXXVI Treehouse of Horror XXVI]]'' segment "Wanted: Dead, then Alive", whose plots became strikingly similar to "The Tears of a Clone", with Sideshow Bob as Itchy and Bart Simpson as Scratchy; the Reanimator in place of the cloning and killing machines; and a slightly different ending, [[spoiler:which goes well with Bart and his family [[EarnYourHappyEnding finally triumphing over Bob after all the ordeals the boy has gone through]].]]
* HumorDissonance: Comparing the Simpsons' laughter with the viewer, of course (though ComedicSociopathy always helps in this case).
* IronWoobie: Scratchy.
* JerkSue: Parodied and exaggerated. Not only does no one else in the cartoons mind Itchy brutalising Scratchy (and sometimes others) but it's very incarnation of ''God'' sides with him and helps kill Scratchy and sends him to suffer in hell.
* NightmareFuel: [[CruelAndUnusualDeath Some of the things]] done to Scratchy are simply disturbing and not funny at all.
* PeripheryDemographic: InUniverse, the show is absolutely ''adored'' by hipster students and nerdy, adult fanboys.
* TheScrappy: Poochie.