* CrossesTheLineTwice: Many of Scratchy's deaths and injuries.
* DesignatedHero: Parodied. Itchy is depicted as a hero and yet sadistically abuses and murders Scratchy in many ways, even if the latter did nothing to annoy him. Lampshaded by Homer at one point, too.
* DesignatedMonkey: In a parody of standard cat and mouse cartoons, Scratchy is brutalized just because he's the cat.
* HilariousInHindsight: In "The Tears of a Clone", Scratchy has died, and Itchy realizes that VictoryIsBoring and life is meaningless without his ArchEnemy around, so he creates a cloning machine and creates more clones of Scratchy so he can kill them. However, he grows tired because of the way the machine spits out clones, so Itchy creates a killing machine and makes an endless slaughterfest. Over fifteen years later, we get the ''[[Recap/TheSimpsonsS27E5TreehouseOfHorrorXXVI Treehouse of Horror XXVI]]'' segment "Wanted: Dead, then Alive", whose plots became strikingly similar to "The Tears of a Clone", with Sideshow Bob as Itchy and Bart Simpson as Scratchy; the Reanimator in place of the cloning and killing machines; and a slightly different ending, [[spoiler:which goes well with Bart and his family [[EarnYourHappyEnding finally triumphing over Bob after all the ordeals the boy has gone through]].]]
* HumorDissonance: Comparing the Simpsons' laughter with the viewer, of course (though ComedicSociopathy always helps in this case).
* IronWoobie: Scratchy takes a ton of abuse and comes back fine in the next cartoon.
* NightmareFuel: [[CruelAndUnusualDeath Some of the things]] done to Scratchy aren't especially funny, they're just disturbing. Worse yet is that the children viewing the show always laugh at the horrific carnage being displayed. [[PlayedForLaughs It's portrayed in a comedic light]] as a satire of violence in American media, but it's still a little disturbing.
* PeripheryDemographic: InUniverse, the show is absolutely ''adored'' by hipster students and nerdy, adult fanboys. Out of universe, [[LifeImitatesArt it also holds true]].
* TheScrappy: Poochie is an intentional example. He was made to make the show fresh and relevant again, but everyone hated him so much that he was removed after just one episode.
* TakeThatScrappy: Poochie gets mowed down by the duo in "Treehouse of Horror IX".