* CrossesTheLineTwice: Many of Scratchy's injuries or deaths.
* DesignatedMonkey: In a parody of standard cat and mouse cartoons, Scratchy is brutalized just because he's the cat.
* DudeNotFunny: Often from Marge, though there are episodes that touch a nerve with even Bart, Lisa, and Homer, albeit usually connected with some dilemma they are undergoing at the time. An example is the episode "Lisa the Vegetarian" where Lisa doesn't laugh along with Bart (as she usually does) because "violence against animals is not funny".
* HilariousInHindsight: In "The Tears of a Clone", Scratchy has died, and Itchy realizes that VictoryIsBoring and life is meaningless without his ArchEnemy around, so he creates a cloning machine and creates more clones of Scratchy so he can kill them. However, he grows tired because of the way the machine spits out clones, so Itchy creates a killing machine and makes an endless slaughterfest. Over fifteen years later, we get the ''[[Recap/TheSimpsonsS27E5TreehouseOfHorrorXXVI Treehouse of Horror XXVI]]'' segment "Wanted: Dead, then Alive", whose plots became strikingly similar to "The Tears of a Clone", with Sideshow Bob as Itchy and Bart Simpson as Scratchy; the Reanimator in place of the cloning and killing machines; and a slightly different ending, [[spoiler:which goes well with Bart and his family [[EarnYourHappyEnding finally triumphing over Bob after all the ordeals the boy has gone through]].]]
* HumorDissonance: Comparing the Simpsons' laughter with the viewer, of course (though ComedicSociopathy always helps in this case).
* IronWoobie: Scratchy takes a ton of abuse and comes back fine in the next cartoon.
* NightmareFuel: [[CruelAndUnusualDeath Some of the things]] done to Scratchy aren't especially funny, they're just disturbing. Worse yet is that the children viewing the show always laugh at the horrific carnage being displayed. [[PlayedForLaughs It's portrayed in a comedic light]] as a satire of violence in American media, but it's still a little disturbing.
* PeripheryDemographic: InUniverse, the show is absolutely ''adored'' by hipster students and nerdy, adult fanboys. Out of universe, [[LifeImitatesArt it also holds true]].
* TheScrappy: Poochie is an intentional example. He was made to make the show fresh and relevant again, but everyone hated him so much that he was removed after just one episode.
* TakeThatScrappy: Poochie gets mowed down by the duo in "Treehouse of Horror IX".