* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: The main musical theme.
* BackhandedApology: When inspecting the prisoners tend to their alleged 'gardens' The pause in Colonel von Luger's "I am sorry the soil is not better suited... for you men's purpose" apology to Big X raises Eric's suspicions that von Luger may be aware that they're not using the soil for the gardens. [[spoiler: It's likely he wasn't. ]]
* EarWorm: The main theme.
* HilariousInHindsight: The license plate on the bike Hilts drives reads WH-[[LeetLingo 1337]]1. [[http://www.anchoragefilmfestival.org/2008/images/greatescape.jpg Seriously.]]
** When von Luger sends Hilts to the cooler, he refers to him as simply Hilts, who corrects him with "[[Film/PiratesOfTheCaribbean Captain]] Hilts."
* HomegrownHero: A good portion of the leads are American, whereas in RealLife, there weren't even any American [=POWs=] in the camp at the time of the escape. It makes the whole July 4th celebration scene a lot more cringeworthy to watch.
* NoProblemWithLicensedGames[=/=]TheProblemWithLicensedGames: The 1987 isometric action-adventure by Ocean is a classic 8-bit era game with a complex gameplay for its day, including an "auto-pilot" feature where the player character follows the camp routine by himself. The 2003 game on the other hand is widely regarded as lacklustre and unremarkable.
* TheWoobie: Ives and Blythe.