!! The horror/fantasy novel by Isobelle Carmody:
* GeniusBonus: Nathaniel's pet Chihuahua-cross, the Tod, is described as being easily mistaken for a strange-looking cat or a fox by others. A 'Tod' is an old fashioned English name for a fox.
** Nathaniel and his grandfather are both named after the author Nathaniel Hawthorn. Nathaniel references [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Letter his namesake's book]], ''TheScarletLetter'', and the protagonist who was required to wear a large red A on her dress as a symbol of her crime of adultery.
* JerkassWoobie: Danny turns out to be this: anger aside, he's actually pretty harmless if he likes you. His current cynical and angry attitude is a reaction against the police brutality he experienced when he was younger, the event that set him off on his current path.
* ParanoiaFuel: The whole damn town has this effect on people. Nathaniel at one point wonders if he's ''"beginning to see something dark and terrible in everything"'', and when in the end even his ''mother'' is sucked into the darkness ruling Cheshunt...
** The whole possibility that evil- actual, present, unadulterated evil- exists to call upon the darkness within us is pretty creepy. Nathaniel's sudden burst of joy at all the things he imagines could be true if their magic is true turns to fear when he realises that what is true for good magic is also true for bad.
* FridgeBrilliance: Lallie appears to the Chain as a relatively young girl. However, it's revealed that during [[spoiler: the creation of the first chain fifty years ago, she appeared as "Lallindra", a girl in the same age bracket as the original Chain. This leads to an awkward LoveTriangle situation where Anna Galway assumes Zebediah is in love with Lallie and not her]]. This is shown to be [[TearJerker heartbreakingly inaccurate,]] [[spoiler: but by then it's too late and the Chain has broken. It's entirely possible Lallie chose to appear as a child this time around to prevent such complications from happening again.]]
** The ending scene [[spoiler: in the abbatoir with pretty much the whole school ready to tear the protagonists to shreds]].
** Also [[spoiler: the Tod's death]].
* TearJerker: The group hug after the Chain saves Seth from his attempted suicide.
!! Dutch rock group:
[[caption-width-right:350:The Gathering: Anneke, and some guys and a girl in the background]]
* FaceOfTheBand: Anneke van Giersbergen when she was in the band, despite joining on the third album. More involved fans might be able to identify the Rutten brothers, too, or even the bass player. Poor Frank.
* GenreTurningPoint: Even if their status as a goth metal band is arguable, there's no denying ''Mandylion'' was when the genre started to shift. Prior to that album, goth metal was normally associated with bands such as ParadiseLost, MyDyingBride and TypeONegative. Afterwards, female fronted goth metal bands started to come out of the woodwork.
* GrowingTheBeard: At ''Mandylion'', and then perhaps again at ''How to measure a planet?''
* TheScrappy: Every era has its fans, though the period with second singer Niels Duffhues is much, much less popular than with any other singer.
* TheyChangedItNowItSucks: As expected for any band that changes style and singers over the years. No matter how good Silje might be, hardcore Anneke fans are always going to object to the band continuing on without her. There are also still fans who don't like anything after ''Always...''