* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: The show's [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwgxgBDvNBY theme]].
* DesignatedVillain: Jon is made to look like this in episodes where he's trying to curb Garfield's [[FatBastard terrible behavior]].
* FamilyUnfriendlyAesop: The episode "Ice Man" basically tells us that ugly people can only find love with other ugly people.
* IdiotPlot: In "Out on a Limb" they keep going back up the tree, after finally getting down from it, to escape the dog instead of just running away from it.
* JerkassWoobie: Hercules is a mean Chihuahua with a spiked collar who is one of the bully dogs in the neighborhood. Turns out he's just lonely and wants a friend, which is why he stole Pookie in one episode.
* ReplacementScrappy: The show itself is this to ''WesternAnimation/GarfieldAndFriends'' to the fans of said show.
** Nermal gets a lot a hate as well. Even fans who liked him in ''WesternAnimation/GarfieldAndFriends'' thought this version of him was unlikable because he became [[TookALevelInJerkass meaner and more obnoxious]].
* TheScrappy: Aunt Ivy is an InUniverse case which Garfield Lampshades a plenty. One episode revolves around Jon desperately trying to pawn her off onto his brother (who wants her even less).
** Similarly Squeak's cousin Max. The instant he appears Garfield even Lampshades he's an even more annoying addition to the show than Nermal.
* TakeThatScrappy: Nermal gets this every now and again.
** In "Parrot Blues", Nermal breaks down in tears because Paxton called out on him for his conceit and told him that he was a sickening sight to those around him.
** "Super Me" has Garfield and Ultra Super Powerful Guy leave him on the moon after pestering them to tell him who's the real super hero (as Garfield was dressed as the superhero).
* TearJerker: "Desperately Seeking Pookie". The scene where Hercules breaks down in tears when he has to part with Garfield's teddy bear. Even though he stole it, the scene is enough to qualify poor Hercules as a JerkassWoobie and makes the viewer want to hug him. Luckily Garfield decides to ThrowTheDogABone, and donates his numerous failed replacements for Pookie.
** "Long Lost Lyman: Part Four", where Odie had to part ways with Jon and Garfield after reuniting with Lyman. The part where a downhearted Garfield reminisces the times he had with Odie really sells it. [[spoiler: Thankfully, Lyman decides that Odie should live with Jon.]]
* TheyChangedItNowItSucks: Compared to the older shows in the franchise, take your pick. Garfield moving his lips when he talks. Jon's RelationshipUpgrade with Liz. The shift from traditional animation to 3D.
** Also, it could be argued that the humor is much more tame, less funny, too many 4th wall jokes and forced aesops comapred to WesternAnimation/GarfieldAndFriends.
* UncannyValley: Believe it or not, Garfield ''moving his lips when he talks'' is this for some fans, especially those who grew up watching WesternAnimation/GarfieldAndFriends. It's so unbelievably jarring.
** Some viewers have noted how ''wrong'' most of the characters look in CG. It's especially notable when characters such as Garfield or Odie switch from walking between two to four legs meaning different models with different body lengths/shapes must be used thus making the transition between them so obvious.
* WhatTheHellCastingAgency: This may take you by surprise, but ''FrankWelker'' performing Garfield didn't sit well with some fans. To quote [[TVTrash The Rowdy Reviewer]]:
-->'''The Rowdy Reviewer''': "...no one can replace the late, great Lorezno Music. He ''was'' Garfield. But legendary voice talent Frank Welker? I must say that....I'm less than impressed. With him, it's all lethargy and no sarcasm, while Music always had the best mix of both."
* TheWoobie: usally Odie, Garfield himself had some moments such as the episode "The Land of Hold"