* FanHater: The speaker in "Instant Club Hit (You'll Dance to Anything)" hates the bands and hates the people who dance to them. Of course, the speaker is just jealous that a bunch of arty European bands are more popular than his decent, American music.
* FunnyAneurysmMoment: Their many songs about suicide, drugs, and death became very less funny when Dave Blood committed suicide by overdosing.
* HilariousInHindsight: In a sense. "Instant Club Hit (You'll Dance to Anything)" was a stab towards "pretentious" British alternative bands that were getting club airplay. A couple years later, the Dead Milkmen lands on Club MTV when "Punk Rock Girl" becomes a hit.
* TheyChangedItNowItSucks: There was some fan backlash upon the release of the album ''Soul Rotation'', which was their first major label effort and the closest thing they had to a NewSoundAlbum: There were far fewer overtly humorous songs than usual, Joe Jack Talcum sang the majority of the songs instead of Rodney Anonymous (who mainly plays keyboards on the album instead), and the album generally had more of a mellow [[FolkRock "folk punk"]] sound to it. Nowadays the album has sort of been VindicatedByHistory within the fanbase.
* TrueArtIsAngsty: Satirized heavily, but never more so than in "Theme From ''Blood Orgy of the Atomic Fern''", which features a lengthy quote from [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloomy_Sunday "Gloomy Sunday"]].