* HoYay: Lando needs Luke's endorsement to find a bride.
* MoralEventHorizon: Thrackan, [[spoiler:holding Han and Leia's children hostage]]. Also an InUniverse example, as the Corellian culture values family loyalty. [[spoiler:This action inspires Dracmus' Mook Face Turn.]]
* TheScrappy: Thrackan. Even for a villain, he's hated. The fact that he [[spoiler: met his defeat at the hands of nine-year-old Jacen & Jaina and seven-year-old Anakin]] didn't exactly help to guarantee him a spot among the greatest EU villains of all time. Unlike most of his more well-regarded fellows, however, Thrackan ''did'' manage to stick around as a thorn in the heroes' side for ''years'' after these books, rather than getting killed off; he finally met his doom as the DiscOneFinalBoss of ''Literature/LegacyOfTheForce''.
* StrangerBehindTheMask: Relatively speaking. Although the group that ends up being behind everything is mentioned several times in the books, they are not an important player in the StarWars universe. Once it became apparent another force was behind the takeover, fan speculation ranged from Pellaeon or Daala (who were both still at large at that time) to the reappearance of the Ssi Ruu (essentially giving us the Yuuzhan Vong invasion plot five years earlier). The revelation of the true culprits was underwhelming.
* WhatAnIdiot: The entire New Republic, at the very end, for simply not having Thrackan executed. He ended up returning to power ''twice.'' Fantastic work, Leia.